Existing Member?

My Adventures

Merida

MEXICO | Tuesday, 20 January 2015 | Views [320]

so is have arrived in the Yucatan Penninsula and am so worn out that I have decided to stay here.  If found a great apartment for 200$ per month and the city is great.  Very safe and tranquil.  I have made some friends already and everyone continues to be impressed with my spanish and I think I speak pretty well but also the other white people here don't even try.  There is a festival going on for the month celebrating the anniversary of Merida so very night there is some cultural event going on.  So far I have seen a play, an improvisational dance and music performance, concerts, a whole bunch of stuff.  I loved the trove music and bought a cd which I listen to frequently.  I live next door to the market where I shop for fresh produce and meat instead of going to the grocery store.  Among the highlights I have seen so far are a town called Izamal where all the buildings are painted yellow and it looks fantastic, the beach north of here which is not spectacular like the Caribbean but still a beach, a hacienda where they used to produce henequen which is a natural fiber which made people here rich before the invention of nylon, Uxmal which are Mayan ruins, the Mayan museum which was interesting as it went into the history of the area.  This is where the meteor fell which wiped out the dinasours.  I bought a spiffy guaybera shirt which I have yet to wear.  I spent the day with a nice woman from Michigan and we visited several cenones which are fresh water sinkholes and were crystal clear and refreshing.  I also met some cool korean women who I hung out with for the night kicked their ass at pool.  When we bet the loser got their forehead flicked with an index or middle finger or had to write a word by moving their buttocks.  A little weird but fun.  I met a Swedish invetment banker also who was a bit of a douche but it was interesting to know him For one night.  All in all I am very happy here.  Most of the expats here are retirees so I have to make friends with Mexicans.  maybe will post some pictures later.  Am trying to decide if its a good idea to take spanish classes.  The place I looked at was very expensive although there are others.  Maybe will post some pics eventually.

About jrdenola


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.