Existing Member?

Summer Adventure

June 1

KENYA | Monday, 2 June 2014 | Views [829] | Comments [5]

Hi everybody! We (my cousin, Nakia, and I) arrived in Kenya today around 7am Kenya time. The local time here is 8 hours ahead of Texas time. 

The flights were good other than being delayed in D.C. and missing our flight in Doha. Our flights were setup DFW--> D.C.-->Doha, Qatar-->Kenya. We left D.C. an hour and 30 minutes late. We had a 1 hour layover in Doha so when we arrived to Doha our flight had already departed. So.... We had to wait until the next flight that left 5 hours later.................. The airline was really nice about it though, and they apologized and quickly set us up on the next flight and arranged for us to have a free meal in the airport during our wait. We ate SO MUCH during our flights! At one point I wanted to tell them no thank you, but anyone who knows me knows I don't turn down food! Haha! 

When we got to Kenya the volunteer staff were waiting outside for us. We rode with a guy, Kevin, who was really nice. He dropped us at a University in town where we would stay for the night. We met some of the other volunteers who are staying here as well. Out of 15 of us there are about 5 Americans. We're having our orientation here in the morning where will meet the rest of the volunteers and from there we will drive 2 hours into the Maasai land. Kevin came to get us around noon and drive us to the mall to exchange money. Then we drove around to tour the city and visit with animals. We fed (and kissed) girrafes, petted crocrodiles and tortoises, looked at ostriches, and fed monkeys in a park. It was the holiday of their independence here today so there were people out everywhere. We at lunch a really cute restaurant where we sat outside. The weather was really nice and they played cool jazz music so it was really chill. We ate African food of course, but I have no clue what the name of the foods were. I'll try better next time. 

We had a long day but a very good day for our FIRST day here. Tomorrow we head to the Maasai land, which is an actual village, so I'm hoping I will still have a decent signal on my phone and wifi when I go to work at the school. If not I'll be journaling whenever I can. 

I'm adding pictures and videos as soon as I can upload them!

I just added everyone's email to this list, so if you'll like to stop receiving these emails let me know! You won't hurt my feelings :) 

Tags: africa, kenya, maasai, nairobi

Comments

1

I'm so excited for you! I really hope you have a fantastic trip and definitely keep us updated as much as you can! :D you and your big heart are doing great things in this world.

  Gabby<3 Jun 2, 2014 2:28 PM

2

Are giraffs good kissers? Ha, just kidding! So glad you made it there safely and I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

  Becky Jun 3, 2014 3:57 PM

3

Joy, words cannot express how proud I am of you! I'm glad y'all made it safely to Kenya and I pray y'all have a blessed and fun time!! I'm glad you get to use your big heart to help people ALL over! Keep doin what you do! Please keep us posted on your trip!! :) :) Luv u!

  Joy G. Jun 3, 2014 10:01 PM

4

Glad you made it safe cousin friend! Excited to keep reading about your adventures!

  Rosie Jun 5, 2014 3:49 AM

5

Hope you are doing well! Miss you

  Dominique Jun 11, 2014 2:06 AM

About joytranae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.