Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 33. Sheep!!!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 November 2016 | Views [133]

We made breakfast and headed for Baldwin Street, which is the steepest street in the world. On the way to it, we saw a few other notably steep streets but once we got to Baldwin, it was on another level. It was crazy steep! I didn't dare drive up it in the gutless rental car. We parked and walked about 400 meters to the top, which was a cardio workout in itself. We took pictures and then made the descent back down.

Next, we drove out to the peninsula in search of New Zealand's only castle, the Larnach Castle. The road was far above sea level and provided great views of the ocean and beaches. At the castle entrance, they wanted a $30 fee per person which we thought was a little much since all we really wanted was just a few good pictures of it. We drove around some more before making our way back into town. We were hungry (as usual) and stopped at a local brewery called Emerson's where we ordered beef and Italian dishes and of course, beer. Ryan liked the pale so much he bought a small growler of it.

We stopped at Countdown for groceries before heading south to Nugget Point. I slept for most of the drive there. It was about a 15 minute walk to the point and lighthouse. The "nuggets" were big rocks scattered around the point and it was high tide so the ocean was dramatically breaking against them. It was quite a powerful scene. We left as it started to rain and on the drive back to the main road, we stopped at a beach for a few minutes. We continued on to a waterfall that was located in the Catlins Reserve. It was a short walk to it and the falls were multi-tiered and super pretty. I walked off of the walkway and on the wet rocks to the front of the falls. It was a beautiful spot. Ryan followed and then decided to climb up to the first tier.

We drove down vacant backroads looking for a holiday park to stay at for the night. We came to a straight stretch of road in between farm pastures and off in the distance I saw animals on the road. We got closer and could see that they were sheep!! There were about 15 babies and bigger ones too and were so cute! I was freaking out, just ask Ryan. We took pictures and drove alongside them as they were running.

It was getting late but we kept driving and finally found a holiday park way out in the boonies. After we got a camping spot, we drove down to the beach where we barely caught the last moments of the sunset. Back at the park, we made a late dinner and went to bed.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.