Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 30. The Rise of the Monsoon

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 25 November 2016 | Views [160]

We packed up our things and rushed to Countdown to get food for our bus rides and hike. There was hardly time to park our car, pack the food, and speed walk down to the transport's office and we weren't able to get a proper breakfast. We finally took a sigh of relief once we were on the bus. Along the way, it stopped at a beautiful spot over the lake known as "million dollar lookout" and in Glenorchy for coffee and a view of the lake in that area. About two hours later, we arrived at the Routeburn Shelter, the trailhead to the 32km hike. We immediately put on our raincoats, which we were never without for the entire duration of the trek.

The hike started off with a few lengthy swing bridges over glossy blue, translucent rivers. It slowly climbed and descended and repeated. We both became sweaty and wet from the constant rainfall but enjoyed the serenity of the woods and rivers. The trail leveled out and eventually came to the first tramping hut, the Routeburn Flats hut. We stopped for a moment and then continued up the trail into the mountains to the Routeburn Falls hut. As we saw the hut through the bushes, we were marveled. The place was huge. But we figured out a small portion of the hut compound was for regular trampers while the bigger, deluxe part was for the guided hikers. These guided tramps run a silly, wealthy person $1,400 to $1,800 each.

We were one of the last couples to check in at the hut and we actually couldn't find any more bunks left. I started making dinner and Ryan spoke with the warden to see what he could do. He was able to clear two bunks for us, thankfully. We hung up our wet gear and made quinoa and cooked up burger meat and vegetables. Finally, a hot meal. We hung out in the big kitchen/dining area as it stormed outside. The warden spoke before everyone about the hut, the Routeburn trail, and asked where everyone was from. A lot of people said New Zealand, some said Europe, and a few said the US. Once it got around to Ryan and I, Ryan said Alaska and everyone responded with an "Oooo" or "Wow". When we, or I tell someone where we're from, it's always well received and it intrigues people's interest because it's apparently, a very rare place to be from.

After a bit we headed for our bunks after a long, wet, cold, and slightly miserable day.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.