Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 25. A Little Camper

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 20 November 2016 | Views [209]

I left the holiday park and went into downtown Napier on yet another beautiful sunny day. I stopped at a Sunday morning market where locals were selling fruits, vegetables and goods. I bought a carton of fresh strawberries and left to go find a wifi hotspot so I could talk to Ryan and mom. Many people were out and about so parking wasn't easy. I walked around and shopped for quite awhile. I made it back to my car around 2 and put together a quick lunch. Before I headed out, I wanted to stop by the oldest winery in New Zealand that was began by missionaries, but I wanted to get on the road more.

I drove southwest towards Palmerston North then took the highway northwest to Whanganui. My goal was to make it to Taranaki/New Plymouth on the complete other side of the island but it was getting late and I knew there were also things to do and see in this coastal town. I searched around for a basic, cheaper campground but again, there wasn't one for another hour out of town. I settled on Bignell Street motel and motorcamp. I chatted with the owner for a bit and he ended up giving me a key to one of the campers that was open for the night but still only charged me for a tent site. The park had about 15 small, outdated campers that are able to be rented and they had a bed, fridge and small kitchen. I was just happy to be in something other than a tent.

I talked with the owner for about an hour after I made dinner, he was an interesting old man. I hung out in my camper for awhile then fell asleep.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.