Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 10. Harley's and 'Mericans

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 5 November 2016 | Views [457]

Love this lighthouse

Love this lighthouse

This morning I packed a bag and headed for Cape Reinga. The trail sign said 5km and 3 hours one way from Tapotupotu Bay to the cape. The first part was a steep climb up the cliffs from the beach. Then it leveled out a little bit more as it went along and around a ridge. The views from up there were incredible. The trail came to a few sets of stairs that ascended down the other side of the cliffs. Then it went down through some forest and it finally let out at a beach in Sandy Bay, it took me an hour to reach this point. Then again up a little more forest. The next part was a very long, gradual then a not so gradual climb up another ridge. Up and down up and down. It only took me half the time of what the sign said to reach the cape. Blisters formed on my heels right away and the sun was quite intense for this little Alaskan polar bear today.

But it was well worth it. The cape was sensational. Off to the left you could see the sand dunes as they met the sea. Then you had some amazing cliffs and gorgeous water. In the middle of the scene, the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. On the right side, the lighthouse and then more pretty ocean views and cliffs. The most perfect panorama. I think I took more pictures than I'd like to admit. This is a spiritual place for the Maori where they believe the spirit departs earth and goes into the sea after death. Dutch explorer Abel Tasman as well as Captain James Cook sailed passed this cape.

I hung out for awhile, had a snack, and refilled my water bottle over at the parking lot and headed back. There was a massive amount of motorcycle bikers in the lot, it was certainly a great day for them to ride all the way up here. This time on the trail, there was a lot less uphill so I made it back to the campground pretty quickly. I removed my painful boots and headed south in my beloved minivan. (I'm still trying to come up with a name for the silver beast). I drove until I hit Pukenui and stopped for a bite to eat. I ordered a coffee and a burger. But this wasn't any kind of burger, the Angus was from a local farm, it had an egg on it, bacon, ham, pineapple, tomato, lettuce, AND a beet (they call it beetroot around these parts). It was delicious, but very very messy. A bunch of the bikers were at the restaurant too. Many of them rode through the town and since I was sitting on the deck I could watch and hear the bikes. It made me miss home and I love hearing the sound of US-made cruisers.

I drove until I came into Kaitaia and stopped at the Pak N Save for groceries. I went only 14km further to Ahipara because I wanted to see more of "ninety mile beach". I walked out to the ocean to look as far down the shore as I could. The golden sand was so fine and felt so soft on my bare feet. Then I went in search of the holiday park. This one was like a park and hostel combined and probably my favorite one yet. It was much more woodsy and was more welcoming than the rest. Everyone was really nice and I even talked to some Americans! One guy was from New Jersey who lives in Nelson now, and another from Tennessee and one from Kentucky. We were all camped in the tent area of the park; Americans taking over! There hasn't been too many of my kind around here so it was sort of a big deal. More things making me miss home. I also met a nice Irish guy who is planning on cycling most of the country. I couldn't imagine biking on these narrow roads that don't have a shoulder with crazy drivers. Yikes.

I set up my house (the tent), did some much needed laundry, took a much needed hot shower, and ate my left over burger. I hung out in the kitchen / lounge area with everyone and enjoyed some free wifi to catch up on my journal. Welcome :)

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.