Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 6. The Forgotten iPad and Really Nice Aussies

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 1 November 2016 | Views [565]

I always wear a lot of clothes to bed while camping only to wake up sweating in the morning from the sun beating on the tent, like a sauna. I extended my check-out until 11:30 and slowly got my day started. I ate a small breakfast and packed up my camp. I hung out in the park's kitchen and planned my day. I was able to charge my devices and relax for a bit. This campground I must say, is very laid back and so quaint. It has overhanging trees, plenty of facilities, campsites but also small bungalows. It's so close to the beach and everyone says hello.

I heaved my pack on my back and walked to the local store. There is no transportation from Hahei to the next beach over so I asked around for a ride to Hot Water Beach but there were no takers. So I made my way to the beach on foot. 8km's to go. I first walked through a small construction zone where I passed the flagger and walked through the project. (Their flagger paddles in NZ say stop and go, not stop and slow like in the US). As I was walking away, the flagger asked where I was from, I said Alaska, and he followed with, "No way I'm wearing my Alaska hat it says Kenai Peninsula". I said, "Wow that's where I'm from". People, the world is small and it's getting smaller.

I kept walking then the traffic supervisor picked me up to take me to the end of the project, which I was thankful for because it was up a hill. I kept walking and passed by pastures with cows, cows that weren't too happy seeing a foreign object go by them. I kept walking and walking. It was so quiet, yet the birds were chirping, and the very occasional car would go by. I felt like I was in a movie, in the middle of nowhere, just walking along a narrow road, even though I knew exactly where I was. I tried my luck and stuck my thumb out for a car going my direction. This was a funny feeling. A dozen or less passed by then one stopped. A surreal feeling! (Sorry mom and dad). Two men in their window installation work truck picked me up. They were friendly, just like all New Zealanders. They only had to take me about 4km's and we chatted along the way. I was SO happy I didn't have to walk the whole way.

I rented a shovel, changed into shorts, and headed for the beach. It was mostly a clear day but there was a strong breeze. I made my way over to the rocks and there were only a few people there because it was still awhile before low tide. So the thing to do at Hot Water Beach is to bring a shovel, dig a hole in the sand at low tide and enjoy the warm, thermal water that is heated from the ground below. I just observed people for a while then I started digging. I made a good sized hole but the water wasn't exactly warm.

More and more people showed up. I stopped digging and sat up on a big corral like piece of rock and just watched people. It was quite a funny sight. I walked around the crowds to find a better spot. Some parts of the sand were actually warm but only in a small area. I dug another hole but still not all that warm. I walked around some more and found a spot that was seriously scolding hot I couldn't stand on it for more than a moment. I wanted to dig there but couldn't bare it. There were so many people it was crazy. A lot were digging in that same area and making walls so the heavy surf wouldn't come and fill the hole back up again. It was a group effort and there was a network of holes and walls (see pictures).

I dug another hole then headed for a quieter area of the beach. I sat down in the sun to relax but then realized I left my iPad and charger in the kitchen back at the Hahei campground. I quickly called to see if they could stow it away for me. I knew it would be best if I went that day to retrieve it. Even without my charger I wasn't going to be able to charge my phone that I had with me. I went to the beach cafe and ordered a ceiche (these are popular in NZ). In line I saw the Australian lady who I talked to back at the beach. I asked her what direction her and her family were going to be headed. She said Hahei and said they could give me a lift. Thank goodness.

I didn't think I was ever going to come back to that campground but there I was. I picked up my iPad, fully charged. I booked the same campsite for the night and set up my tent. I moseyed around for awhile, changed my clothes, and walked back towards the main part of town in search of the coromandel brewing restaurant. It didn't even look open, but as I got closer I saw that people were sitting outside eating and drinking beers. I walked into the small brewery, ordered a chicken with cashew pizza, a beer and had a seat. The pizza was really good but the beer was even better, so refreshing and tasty. I boxed up the pizza and walked back to the holiday park.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.