Existing Member?

We only have today

Koh Phangan- No sunset, No problem

THAILAND | Wednesday, 24 May 2017 | Views [504]

24/05/217 - 31/05/2017

Koh Phangan, Thailand 

I flew out of KL to a small Thai town called Surat Thani where I took a one hour bus ride to a port then a two hour ferry to arrive in Koh Phangan (it took me several try's to pronounce the name correctly, "g" sounds like. "Y").

Koh Phangan is one of a three islands off the southeast cost of Thailand, south of the gulf. The larger island, Koh Samui, I avoided due to a lot of tourism. However, little did I know, Koh Phangan is home to the monthly Full Moon Party. Thousands (no joke) of people on every full moon invade the island and party. I did not attend due to excessive use of drugs, alcohol, and techno music with rave style dancing. Been there, done that (but not really, mom).

I had set up a modified Homestay where I would stay in an adorable jungle house for a month and watch this woman's  dogs while she is in India. When I arrived I walked into the beautiful house but immediately got a strange intuitive vibe. I gave it a night, then spoke to the current caretaker and found out the gig was a little more than watching/feeding the dogs, and I felt misled. In addition, it was very far from the beach with no restaurants or markets near by; I was more than distraught by this situation. I thought the situation would allow me to chill out and meet people. I promptly left and moved to a place I found directly on the beach. The place was on the beach!! I mean on the beach, the sand shore was about 100 meters (325 ft) from my front door. I could hear high tide crashing on the retaining wall every night. I gladly suffered in the heat under a fan just to fall asleep to the waves sounds. Bliss! When I think back to my anticipation of the other housing gig, then the bad intuition and let down for having to leave, I had a moment of clarity while at the beach house.  (The following thought process is nothing knew to any logical mind but to see it up close and personal was like a reset button). The initial house that I thought held some peace ended up  bringing complete inner personal chaos. Only after was I able see it more clearly, it was a stepping stone to a place that was right for me. In general, sometimes bad things happen in order to redirect you toward the right path. I then questioned, how do practice the patience and foresight to navigate future stressful events in life? You know, the ones that completely consume you. 

I spent one week on the island. I ate Pad Thai which tastes nothing like Pad Thai in the states. I sat on the beach every night. I went on a scuba diving trip. Although hazy skies that week made the sunsets hard to see, on my last day the sky became blue. I hiked about one hour to a jungle bar, called the Amsterdam Bar, that had a treehouse like porch overlooking the Haad Chao bay. I waited for the sunset to come and amaze me. Just a half hour before sunset, cumulus clouds formed and the sky darkened. I watch a rapidly moving rain storm move across the bay, a curtain of rain, it was breathtaking. I didn't see a sunset but rather something just as beautiful. That night while I slept I awoke to a loud thunder like sound. I went outside to see the cause and it was the largest high tide I had see yet, just crashing violently on the shore, beautiful. I went back to bed and was lulled to sleep.

About journeyjane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.