Existing Member?

South America 2015

Havana Great Time

SPAIN | Wednesday, 10 June 2015 | Views [280]

Havana great time

 
We only had a short time in Havana before heading off to regional Cuba but we certainly packed it in. 
 
Another long flight from Madrid saw us land around 10pm. Pele, the famous footballer was at the airport so we weren't allowed off the plane until the area was cleared of ( so called ) VIPs and press and the likes. By the time we got our bags it was 11:30. Our casa host Edilberto had been kind enough to pick us up and wait the extra hour and a half so we headed home for a much needed nap. Edilberto was also kind enough to to point out which of the ladies of the night weren't ladies, er, thanks champ.
 
We managed 8 hours sleep which helped adjust the body clock followed by an amazing breakfast of fruit, omelettes, bread, toasted sandwiches, mango juice and coffees and teas. Turns out this was breakfast everyday in Cuba. Winning ! We decided to walk into town, grab a map from the tourist bureau and do our own walking tour of Havanas piazzas. Gotta be said its a pretty happening place. Lots of tourists and music around but plenty of side streets with cool bars and restaurants. We checked out the 5 main squares, stopping for the occasional mojito then lunch.
 
After lunch we hit Central Park and hired a '59 Dodge convertible with driver for a tour around the rest of Havana. All the old American muscle cars in Havana are amazing but this one was something special. See the photos to judge for yourself. We cruised the old town and the new town, hung out in revolution square and rolled down the beach and along the coast. Not a bad way to see the capital.
 
Late arvo we headed back to the casa but resisted the siesta in order to keep the jet lag to a minimum. Instead we headed into China town for dinner and grabbed an early night. We had a 6 am rise to head out on our respective buses, Jorje heading west to dive in Pinar Del Rio and Juanita heading east to Santa Clara

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.