Existing Member?

The Big O.E

I'm not jet-lagged. It's completely normal to update your blog at 5:30am

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 9 June 2009 | Views [430] | Comments [2]

Finally made it to the UK.

Australia was great, especially catching up with everyone although there were lots of errands to run and loose ends to tie up so I was very busy every day.

Caught up with nearly everyone I wanted to. Had a pre-birthday dinner with the family and another pre-birthday gathering with friends the day before I flew out which was really good.

As for getting to London itself, it was pretty uneventful. I slept probably a third of the trip, dozed another third of the trip and gawked around the plan for the final third. Abu Dhabi was brief but interesting. The surrounding desert reminding me of many video games I had played but more realistic. There was no alcoholic beverages on the flight either. I assume that was due to the UAE laws or something.

Abu Dhabi to London was about as exciting as this blog entry has been so far (ie - only of interest to a few) and I passed the time playing the shit out of the video game 'Tetris'. Interesting fact; I never knew why it was called Tetris all these years. I thought it was Russian for something like 'game' or 'block game' but it turns out that a 'Tetris' is when you remove four lines of blocks in one swoop. There ya go, trivia heads.

Probably the most difficult part of the trip was getting from Paddington station to Great Portland Street station. It was quite sprawling and I was sent in the wrong direction several times, but I eventually made it to Great Portland St station and from there it was just a short walk to my friend Tim's house in Camden Town.

It's very picturesque here and certainly different from Australia. It's certainly a lot 'greyer', but not in a bad way, it's just more subdued. Personally I think it's really quaint.

So now I'm just twiddling my thumbs at 6:05am which isn't too bad. I went to bed around 10pm local time after spending the afternoon with Tim's girlfriend Claire and going for a walk around Regents park until Tim got home from work. It's good to see familiar faces again although I am missing the Australian crew already.

Tomorrow, er today, I'm off to watch the T20 world cup. NZ vs SA. Australia have been dumped out of the tournament which is brilliant. Ricky Ponting will no doubt be throwing a tantrum which makes today the happiest day of my life.

Right y'all. I'm off to sleep (again).

Comments

1

Hi Joe

Fantastic to hear from you at last. We miss you, you've been in our thoughts today cos of y'birthday. really weird to be missing a family member again (ie you). Last time that happened was when you and I were lil chiddlers and Rae & Julie were the ones overseas.

Have a fantastic time at the cricket, show y'belly to the tv camera for us!! LOL

CMK & DH xxx

PS - Ricky Ponting was shattered. Priceless.

  CMK & DH aka Queens of Goobie Castle Jun 9, 2009 9:08 PM

2

Hi Jono

Great to hear you got there safely. You'll have to take some photos for me - it'll probably be the only way I'll get to see London:). Make sure you keep this updated it's great to hear what you've been up to.

Take care & Happy Birthday for the other day.

  Moira & Co Jun 12, 2009 6:25 AM

About jono_79

I'm excited about my cake, as you can see.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.