Existing Member?

JOMEL Adventures Positivity (def): "Anything other than being in the office."

Austin, Texas

USA | Friday, 18 April 2008 | Views [421] | Comments [1]

So the jomel adventure actually started in Austin, Texas on Friday 18th April when I arrived after 40 hours of flying and lay overs. I was exhasuted to say the least- not the best slying experience but at least the hotel changed our room so I could got straight to bed at 11am for a few hours sleep before Jo and the boys arrived in town. We stayed at Extended Stay America in Downtown Austin- walking distance to all the great spots. We had dinner at Hooters (classy I know but I was with 6 guys) and then Jo and I called it a night for some much needed sleep and a catch up.

Sat in Austin was cruisy as I was seriously jet lagged. That was when we were first introduced to Chipolte, WholeFoods and REI. Three places we have since been back to many times while in the states! Some of the supermarkets in the US put Australia's to shame. So many fresh and delicious foods. We also did some pretty serious car shopping. And by serious I mean we bought the second one we looked at and the first one we test drove. A 2000 Ford Explorer, very well looked after and seemed to run well (according to us two mechanically ignorant nomads).

With Jo's replacement passport in hand (stolen while they were in Atlanta) we hit the town with the grid iron boys on Sat night; Simmo, Gumby, Mick, Jimmy, and Marco. Patrone was the theme for the evening and it did not end pretty! I should try not to drink one for one with any male, especially those who have been on a drinking spree for 3 weeks!

Sunday was all about battling. Big time. I felt shocking! Could barely leave the room. Jo was also dying as his old liver did not like the 3 week drinking binge. We are definitely out of uni practice. Needless to say the boys went out without Jo and I that night.

Monday however we had recuperated enough and after spending a fortune on camping gear at REI and picking up our new car we hit the town again with a slightly less shameful performance. We did tapas and cocktails, then cards and late nght banter at a pub where the bar walls were completely covered with different kinds of beer on tap. Not bad for a Monday night.

Tues 22nd April we said good bye to the guys and departed Austin, but still without Jo's wallet which he had left at the hotel in the last town he was at (obviously hungover). So we chased the UPS truck around for a good 5 hours before finally starting our road trip.

Comments

1

Love your banter about the beginning of your trip. Very entertaining, Mel.

  Mum Jun 11, 2008 9:27 PM

About jomel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.