Existing Member?

The Great Overseas Trip

Madrid: Aug 3 - Aug 6

SPAIN | Thursday, 6 August 2009 | Views [310]

August 3

Another 4-5 hour bus ride and we were in Madrid.  We went out in search of tapa's, however found that at 6pm, places are not open for dinner )you would have thought we would have realised this by now!).  Luckily there was a supermarket very close by and was really really cheap, so we bought some pasta and cooked it up.  At 9pm the hostel had organised some drinking games and then Gemma and I headed out on the pub crawl at 10.30pm.  Was not as good as the pub crawls we had previously been on, and by the third place i was well and truly ready for home, so i left we another couple of girls...thank goodness that we did, because Gemma stayed on and we found out the next morning that on her way back she and another girl from the hostel were being followed by a Spanish guy, and the other girl starting speaking Spanish and telling him to go away...when at the front door Gemma opened her handbag to get her key, and while the other girl was distracted and so was Gemma, the guy grabbed Gemma's bag with her wallet, cards, and camera and booted off down the road.  Was a very sober warning for us to take even more care! Would be so annoyed being at the front steps of your hostel and having it pinched there!

August 4

So following the bag napping, we left the hostel in search of the police station to report the theft.  After this - and speaking to some Very nice Spanish policemen ;) - we decided to walk around the west side of Madrid to see what it had to offer.  We saw the Pallace and Cathedral, massive buildings with a beautiful view off the cliff to down below, then went to the crypt below the Cathedral and saw where many rich people are buried and even to this day people are still buried there.  By about 3pm was starting to really heat up, so we headed back to the hostel.

That night we cooked again and started some card drinking games where more people joined us until the kitchen was full of drunk fools! hehe...

August 5

Lisa had kissed a guy the night before and he decided he wanted to see the palace and stuff so we had to go see it again, except for the fact that we got to see the Temple as well, which we hadn't got to see the day before.  The guy Lisa kissed starting becoming very possesive and was even taking her arm and guiding her across the street! was hilarious to watch, but eventually i had to be a good friend and stand in the way of him until he got the idea haha!

We headed to 'Prado', a very famous museum and Lisa and i subtely lost the others we were with hehe...the museum was nice, just the usual paintings and stuff (got a little repetitive after a while), however the last room we visited held 4 pictures that were AMAZING! When you stood a couple of metres away you thought they were paintings, but then when you got closer, you found that they were actually made out of bits of granite and coloured rock! Was absolutely incredible!!!!!! There was a piece that was used for a horses neck which was about 1cm by 1.5cm and it was a grey horse, but the piece of rock even had two bits of darker grey that looked like tendons in the horses neck...just cannot even describe how awesome these pictures were...Lisa and i ended up standing there for like 20mins just looking at them and could have spent longer except a whole lot of people walked in.

August 6

This morning we were up bright and early to go shopping.  Lisa split her shorts the previous night having a 'piggy back' ride, so was in desperate need.  I also needed another pair of shorts, because skirts and super hot weather don't really mix ;) ... We were extremely sucessful, picking up some shorts for €15 and Lisa bought some tops as well.  After this was time to head for lunch with the people attending Pueblo Ingles.  Was a little daunting walking in as nearly everybody else was already there, but sat next to some nice people and chatted away fine. Lisa didn't fair so well as she sat next to somebody who spat when he talked, and the further lunch went on the more wine he drank and the closer he got to her to speak, haha!  Was also a little worried when they started saying that we would have one-to-one 50min sessions with the Spanish participants...how am i ever going to make small chat with someone for 50mins like 6 times a day! and worst of all meal times were 9am, 2pm, and then not again until 9pm! what kind of world am i living in?!  So straight after lunch, Lisa and i headed straight for the supermarket and stocked up on chips and peanuts and chocolates to tide us over lol!

After this was back to the hostel to pack as we were leaving quite early the next day, and then to bed.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.