Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

July 10 - 12 - through heat and wind in eastern South Dakota

USA | Monday, 14 July 2008 | Views [674] | Comments [1]

July 10 – A long, hot 84 miles from Pierre to Chamberlain, SD.  The first half was nice – comfortable, nice views of the Missouri, but then we turned south into a stiff, 20 mph headwind.  Add to this temperatures rising to 97 F and some steep climbs, and it was a difficult slog.  Drink lots of water or whatever.

 

July 11 – 74 miles to Mitchell, SD, the 5 miles around town to see the “famous” Corn Palace and other sights.  Lower temperatures and more favorable wind so not a bad ride, but the most boring day of riding yet on the trip.  Flat fields and little to see.  The Corn Palace, which is really just a community teater/arena seating maybe 3,000, is decorated with corn stalks and husks into murals on the outside.  Not much of a sight, but its whats here (see pictures), and they have been doing this for over a century – my mother saw pretty much the same thing when she wa here as a girl, some 70 years ago.

 

July 12 – 73 miles to Sioux Falls, SD, the biggest city in the state at 163,000 people.  A huge tailwind today - >20 mph right at our back, which combined with flat terrain and temps in the low 70’s, made for delightful riding.  Finished the 73 miles with an 18 mph average speed, and a times was cruising on the flat a over 25.  But the the masochists of the group spoke up: “if everyday was like this, anyone could bike across the country, so where would be the challenge?”  Ah, the old human dilemma - choosing between the pleasure of accomplishing the difficult versus the pleasure of doing something that simply feels good.  The big event of the day was the change in agriculture – from wheat fields, hay and cattle on the range, to corn, soybeans and cattle in feed lots.   

 

Thoughts:

 

Strip Malls:

As near a I can tell from what I’ve seen so far, what differentiates a small town from a city in America are strip malls and franchise chains.  In the small towns, where the population is too small to support the chains, the few stores are Mom & Pop things, all eccentric, often run down looking.  Downtown is 1 to 3 blocks long, and quiet.  Towns with under 1,500 people, like Canistota, SD, or Lusk, WY, or Hagerman, ID (eat at the Thunderbird Café if you ever get there.)  They are sleepy little places of considerable charm, though you get the feeling they will disappear, perhaps when the current older generation dies out.  In a small city, on the contrary, the chain stores and restaurants start appearing.  First comes Subway and McDonalds, when the population hits somewhere between 1,500 and 3,000, such as in Chamberlain, SD, Mountain Home, ID or John Day, OR.  Then as you get over 4,000, a “strip” shows up, with KFC, donut places and WallMart – Mitchell, SD, Prineville, OR, Blackfoot, ID, Riverton, WY.  Get to over 12,000 or so, like in Pierre, SD, Twin Falls, ID, or Baker City, OR and you get the full blown American strip mall phenomena – Lowe’s, Chili’s, Pizza Hut, Sizzler, Curves, Walgreens, “Super” Walmart, Days Inn, etc., etc., all laid out in a series of strip malls on the four lane road just outside the old central business district.  Finally there is the small city – like Sioux Falls where I am now, or Boise, Rapid City and Casper, where you not only get the strip malls, but indoor malls, “historic” districts (an effort to save the old downtown), multiple installations of the common chains – 3 or 4 McDonalds and Pizza Huts - and the less common chains (Michaels, David’s Bridal, etc.)  Once you are at this size, you could be anywhere in America – Sioux Falls is essentially the same at Terre Haute, Fort Myers, Fresno, or Columbia, SC. 

 

As near as I can tell, what makes a small city successful in America today is the surrender of its indigenous culture and roots, exchanged for the lifeless but very successfully marketed common commercial culture of America.  If a city gets the strip malls, the multiple franchises, it is a success – its in the mainstream, it will survive, it can grow. Yea!!??

 

So what do we tourists look for when we travel - we on the bike ride and most others?  Almost universally, we look for something genuine and distinct about the places we visit – something that makes it different it from everywhere else.  We on the ride love the little towns and quaint, locally run cafes – they make the ride on most days.  But then, like most tourists, we also want a predictably clean room (with Wireless Internet) that the chain motels give, with convenience stores nearby and familiar food.  We want it both ways, but of course this can not hold. 

 

In my experience, everywhere in the world, convenient, mass-marketed culture is drowning out the local, distinct and indigenous.  It’s a shame, and we do not know how, in this increasingly interconnected world, to prevent this.  People like predictability and convenience, and lets face it, the strip mall culture provides a lot of creature comfort and low priced goodies.  Certainly the answer, for tourists at least,  is not simply to go to somewhere even more exotic and undiscovered – a trend for the last 20 years or so in travel marketing.  This simply homogenizes more places.   How do we keep the richness of of human culture in a globalized world?  I have no answers, but think the problem is important.

 

By the way, all of the above makes me want to cheer for those places where the local culture is so strong and the leaders self-aware enough that the mass culture has been resisted, at least for the most part.  I think of Provincetown on Cape Cod; Kerala, India; Aceh, Indonesia; and on this trip, Dubois, WY.  They can teach us something.  

We often stop at the little country stores for a break (and Diet Coke)

We often stop at the little country stores for a break (and Diet Coke)

Comments

1

Great blog, wonderful for the armchair traveler.

  Beth Jul 15, 2008 1:19 AM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.