Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

July 5 & 6 - Into South Dakota

USA | Tuesday, 8 July 2008 | Views [643] | Comments [1]

July 5 – 108 miles from Casper to Lusk, WY.  Lots more high plains, with sage and cattle ranches.  A long but pleasant ride, interrupted by an auto accident on the road from Douglas to Lusk – see comments below.  A strange moment was when a group of 8 of us got a police escort into Douglas, right to the main park,  where one of our members was ceremonially handcuffed to the giant Jackalope.  The group member, Larry, is doing a ride for his charity, Life Across America, which targets to increase blood donations.  As Larry is a former policeman, some friends back home contacted the cops in Douglas, who were more than happy to support a brother.  So we formed a little parade through town, got pictures taken, and even had a small blurb in the local paper. Fun.

 

July 6 – 98 miles from Lusk, into South Dakota and the Black Hills, to Hot Springs.  A very pretty ride, helped be the fact that temperatures stayed cool and winds reasonably favorable.  (They had been predicted to blow strongly in our face.)  Uneventful – just a nice day of riding. 

 

Thoughts:

 

Wyoming Humor:  Dick Cheney comes from Wyoming, which of course is not funny, and kind of gives an impression that people from there are nasty, secretive and power hungry.  Well we should not generalize from a single example.  Turns out, Wyomingers, or Wyomites, or Wyomians, or whatever they call themselves (Whynots?) are very nice, and even have a sense of humor.  As I mentioned in previous notes, the Casper minor league baseball team is the Casper Ghosts, surely the most self-deprecating sports team name in the country (maybe excepting the Maryland Terrapins.)  And the Ghosts mascot – a big stuffed platypus.  Go figure. 

 

Wyoming also has an official mythical creature – the jackalope.  Not too many states can claim this!  It’s a cross between a jack rabbit and antelope.  There is a rivalry amongst towns as to who has the largest jackalope – we saw giant ones in Dubois and Douglas, but missed Riverton’s entry.  As you might expect, there are even jackalope hunts – I think done in the same vain as the snipe hunts of Maine.

 

So there you have it – nice people who often do not take themselves too seriously.  Now if they could just disown their most famous resident, they would get the respect they deserve.

 

Roadkill observation:  As you travel around the country, the nature of roadkill changes.  You see, when you are on a bike, mile after mile, you get to see a lot of roadkill, up close and personal.  In fact, we are warned not to ride over it, as bones and teeth can cause flats.  As if we would run over it if this were not so!

 

Anyway, in the northeast, on my 3000+ miles of training rides, the most frequent roadkill, by a large margin, was squirrels.  You would think there would be none left for the number on the road.  After squirrels, the common critters were chipmunks, skunks, and groundhogs, followed by the occasional possum.  And in the Hudson valley, you have to add regular white tail deer strikes. 

 

In Oregon, there was, comparatively speaking, less roadkill, with still frequent squirrels in the moist west, but also these small black birds.  Then came Idaho’s Snake River plain, and the onslaught of jack-rabbits.  These guys are positively suicidal.  They must wait for the infrequent cars on the back roads, just for the chance to get under the tires.  These were followed by these cute little yellow birds, and the occasional coyote. 

 

Into the Rockies, and mule deer start showing up on the road, but no more jack rabbits.  Interesting that the elk and antelope never get hit – I guess they are smarter than deer.  Then the plains of eastern Wyoming, and the jack rabbits are back, with the yellow birds, and a new entry – snakes, particularly rattlesnakes.  Lots of these all over the place.  And you know, even obviously dead, these guys, particularly the big ones, are a bit scary.  Tomorrow, its into the Black Hills and prairie dog country – a whole new opportunity to study the predatory habits of SUVs.

 

Hey – I didn’t promise deep thoughts on this blog.

 

Fatal Accident:  On July 5, on the long journey from Casper to Lusk, we came to a section of US 20 where there were no other possible routes.  And then found that the 2 lane road was closed due to a fatal accident – an SUV hit by an 18 wheeler.  Our handlers (America by Bicycle) were advising us riders not to proceed to the area, which was 8 miles past the last turn off, with absolutely nothing around it for miles, but many of us riders pressed on anyway, basically figuring the police would clear the accident after not too much time, or we could get around it somehow.

 

I came upon the scene alone.  I passed perhaps a ½ mile line of trucks and cars waiting for the road to clear, with many holes where people had given up and gone back to do the long, 2 ½ hour detour around.  Finally at the front, I saw the scene: a completely burned out, rolled over, smashed SUV on the road, with parts and char spread out over maybe 40 yards.  The tractor-trailer truck was in a wash, smashed but more recognizable.  Ominously, there were blankets covering something on the road, presumably the people killed.  I was told later by the police that they were not even sure how many people were in the SUV.

 

I saw fellow riders preceding me carrying there bikes across a railroad trestle across the wash – the tracks being some 40 yards off the side of the road.  So I followed, and in the process got a good clear view of the scene. It was horrific – see the picture in the Wyoming gallery.

 

Talking to a policeman on the other side, after crossing the trestle (of what turned out to be an inactive track – perfectly safe), I learned that the probable cause was the SUV trying to pass another vehicle on a curving section of road, hit by the semi with an angular blow, as the truck swerved to avoid the SUV.  The swerving truck lost control and landed in the wash, 20 yards off the road.  Everyone in the SUV was killed, but no info on the truck driver.

 

So there it is, an all too common story.  An impatient driver, a careless moment and life suddenly over.  The lesson is learned over and over, but the mistakes are still made.  From my years in the safety business, I know all about the psychology – how we grow to accept and take risks that are familiar, when the probability of adverse consequences is low and the reward for taking the risk is immediate.  And I know us humans need constant reminders of the consequences to wake us up and keep us alert to the risks we take.  Just, it’s a shame that we have to have those blankets on the highway as the reminder. 

 

Goodby to Wyoming, into the Black Hills of South Dakota

Goodby to Wyoming, into the Black Hills of South Dakota

Comments

1

2 thoughts...
1 - You are very right about risk...in the West it seems we are paranoid about big "dangerous" things while at the same time people take "little" risks on a regular basis just to cut their trip by a couple minutes. Little risks add up. Ride SAFELY!!!!
2 - On roadkill. Yesterday I saw a cockroach dodging traffic impressively in midtown Manhattan. Perhaps one should cross the cockroach with the jack-rabbit for a more traffic resistent mythical creature?

  Amy Jul 13, 2008 2:09 AM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.