Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

June 22 - 24 - through the Snake River farmland to Boise

USA | Thursday, 26 June 2008 | Views [536] | Comments [1]

June 22 - 67 miles.  Rode out of the Blue Mts to the lush agricultural fields around Ontario, OR - see commentary below.  Mostly downhill and with the wind in sunny, comfortable weather - a cycler's dream. 

June 23 - 62 miles to Boise, Idaho - our first new State. More farms and delightful riding.  But looking forward to a day off

I have seen a lot of farmland on this trip, an amount that is immense, even staggering – and we are only in Idaho.  Not counting the tree farms, there have been the wheat fields of central Oregon; vineyards and orchards of the Hood River valley; corn, onions and of course potatoes in eastern Oregon and Idaho; ornamental plant nurseries on the slopes of the Cascades; and hayfields and huge cattle ranches along much of the ride.  And since it is early summer and the rains have been good, everything is flourishing.  The land looks rich, abundant, just as promised to those pioneers who labored over the Oregon trail 150 years ago.

Gazing at the fields for miles at 15 mph, it is somewhat hard to believe we could have a food crisis on this planet.  And this is still early in the ride.  I can look forward to so much more farmland as we cross South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ontario.   Add to this all the farmland, much of it fallow, and the dairies and cattle ranches of the Hudson Valley, which I saw during my many training rides.  Then there are the vegetable and sugar farms I saw in southern Florida when I was there early this year, not to mention all the midwestern farms I saw over past years, traveling to Pfizer plants in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and Nebraska.  How could there be a food crisis? 

Yet we hear all the time now about food shortages, particularly in the “developing” world (not that much of this “world” can ever expect to “develop”, at least in the American sense of the word.)  In America and other rich countries, this shortage takes the form of higher prices.   In the developing world, it takes the form of hunger and increasing poverty.  

Of course I know the causes of the “crisis” – we have all heard them.  Overpopulation is the primary culprit, though surprisingly less discussed now than 30 years ago, even though most of the adverse effects from overpopulation predicted in the early 70’s (remember the “Population Bomb”?) have come to pass.  Couple population with increased consumption in countries becoming more affluent (notably China); seemingly increasing adverse weather (drought, flood, frost) in many of the important agricultural areas; declining water resources in many areas (over-pumped aquifers, rivers diverted for urban use); loss of topsoil and overall fertility where lands are overworked; declining fish yields as most of the world’s fisheries have become seriously depleted (fish being a key protein source for much of the world); and switching of land from growing crops for food to crops to make fuel (notably American corn and Brazilian sugar) – all this, and you get a crisis.

But seeing this immense farmland, the staggering productivity of North American agricultural, I have to feel that there is something simply wrong with at least some of what we are being told.  If there is a real food shortage, why is so much of the good land fallow? (Drive through upstate New York, the former breadbasket of the American colonies, to see.)  Why is so much food thrown away?  (Restaurants, supermarkets, affluent households.)  Why can we rich Americans still buy essentially any food we want at any time of the year, regardless of when things are in season?  Why does so much of the rich world eat so high in the food chain?  (It takes 6 lbs of grain to make 1 lb of beef, 2 ½ lbs per lb of chicken, and of course 1 lb per lb for bread or veggies.)  Not to mention, why is so much valuable farmland being used for non-farm activities – lawns, highway borders, golf courses, etc. etc., all of I have also seen so much of on this trip? 

The answer is that we have an economic problem related to food, not a food crisis.  In the poor world, the problem is generally that the price of food is kept low through price controls, which of course limits production.  Further, lack of infrastructure (especially roads), thoughtless water management, unclear or non-existent property rights and little access to capital greatly inhibits the productivity of poor farmers - all effects of government policies. This can be coupled with the restrictive trade policies of both rich and poor countries. For no other commodity do government policies so screw up production, distribution and pricing, hurting both poor people and the efficiency of the market. 

In the rich world, the economic problem is that food, and the primary capacity to produce it (i.e. farms) is surprisingly undervalued – culturally (i.e  development generally prioritized over farmland preservation, wasteful eat-and–discard–the-leftovers habit); from a value perspective (farmers get only a very small slice of the money in the food value chain) and perhaps simply in price.  All of this means not enough rewards to promote more food production (not that we Americans need more, but for the poor world), preservation of agricultural capacity (i.e. farmland, for which America is a global resource), and better use of the food we have (i.e. lower consumption habits) 

The farmland I have seen is immense, the productivity staggering – in America and throughout the world.  We should be able to to feed the planet quite comfortably, and within environmental limits.   We simply need economic policies  that promote sustainable production and valuing of food, along with real measures to promote population reduction.  I wish I was less of a cynic on the ability of our “leaders” (politicians, of any stripe) to deliver on this.

John Keith

Lush farms of Ontario, OR

Lush farms of Ontario, OR

Comments

1

This is a powerful statement and an important, perhaps essential way, for us to start addressing the issue of hunger on our planet -- "an economic problem related to food, not a food crisis". If we get stuck in the "food crisis" mentality then we begin to think "hoarding" and "there's nothing I can do". If we think "economic problem", then we are more likely to search for solutions and change possibilities. That makes much more sense -- and it makes the situation less depressing. Pelagius, an old revered Celtic monk, once said, "if on one used more than they needed, no one would be in need." Perhaps we should all do more biking!

  Cari Jun 26, 2008 11:22 PM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.