Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

June 19 - 21 - To eastern Oregon

USA | Sunday, 22 June 2008 | Views [421] | Comments [3]

June 19 - 61 miles from Ka-Nee-Ta, an Indian Hotel/Casino on the Warm Springs Indian reservation to Prineville, OR.  Delightul scenery of Cascade snow-topped volcanoes and the Deschutes River.

June 20 - 112 miles, with >5,000 ft of uphill, from Prineville to John Day, OR.  Perhaps the toughest day on the trip, and really tough for me, and more or less everyone.  Wonderful vistas, from lush wheatfields, to mountains, to the John Day Canyon.  My favorite part was a pace line we had going for nearly 20 miles, going over 20 mph almost the entire time (though it was mostly downhill), and I took my turn leading for 8 or 9 miles.  Great fun.  Least favorite: 2,000 ft, 8 mile hills.  Real tired after this day.

June 21 - 82 miles from John Day to Baker City, OR.  3 passes over the Blue Mts. of eastern Oregon, perhaps 4,000 ft of vertical.  Whoever heard of the Blue Mts, or know that the area was so lush with forests, snow capped peaks and rushing streams?Still, a tough day following the previous one.  Sore legs, sore feet, sore backs, and especially sore butts, common to most, including me.  Bike seats really are not comfortable things.

America has a pretty, some would say extremely, competitive culture.   As my children (and probably my former workmates) will attest, this applies to me as much as anyone, perhaps more than most.  I can be pretty competitive about almost anything – sports, trivia games, backgammon, travel stories, etc.  Bicycling is no exception to the cultural norm.  If riders are not competitive in the racing sense, then they tend to be in the informal ways our culture exhibits its competitive streak – who has done what route; coolest rides; best time for a century (100 mile ride); latest, most high tech bike; etc. etc.  Riders can even be competitive about who is the least snobby, the most low tech – “had this old bike for 20 years”, “well, I barely trained at all”, etc. (not unlike people who make a point of their lack of attention to fashion or non-materialism.)

When the America by Bicycle tour group formed last Sunday, there was a lot of the competitive spirit present; everyone checking each other out – type of bike (carbon fiber – good, titanium – really cool), number of tours/trips done, even size of calves (usually an indicator of a strong rider.)  Then of course on the first several days of riding, the group was straightening out a pecking order – the strong riders, the weak, the middle of the pack (more or less, mostly less, where I fit.)  Competition to see who can set the fastest pace line, go fastest up the hills, and of course finish the day earliest.  All as expected in our culture.

But then a funny thing happened over several days.  On the 3rd day, we took the tough ride over the Cascades (66 miles, 5,200 ft of up hill) then yesterday, the 5th, the enormous 112 mile, 5,000 vertical ft. ride from Prineville to John Day.   These were tough days, for anyone. The Prineville-John Day ride may be the most physically demanding day of my life (up there with a few really tough backpacking days.) Just to finish and being able to continue the next day was success.  By the end of these days, what I sensed in the group was a fairly comprehensive loss of the competitive culture.  Now the attitude, the questions, are more like “did you have a good ride?”, “how are you feeling?”, swapping stories of the day.  No one cares how their bike compares to another’s, or where you fall in the pecking order (though of course we kind of all know that now, evidencing our exquisite human ability to quickly establish status orders in any situation.)  Perhaps some past ride snobbery left, but pretty much we have seen a group of disparate strangers, naturally competitive, merge into a group of friends (albeit still at a pretty superficial level) concerned about each other’s welfare.

Now all this is not surprising.  Forging a team from competitive strangers through a common ordeal is a strategy as old as humanity – after all, this is what army boot camp is all about, not to mention much of training for any team sport, or most ancient, initiation rites.  Corporations picked up on this; hence the fad in the 90’s for “team-building” retreats and exercises (generally of little value in my experience – what builds a real team is a genuine experience, not an artificial, imposed exercise.) 

My bet is that, well before the end of the ride, the group will form into a fairly cohesive team, becoming “battle buddies”, sometimes establishing long-lasting friendships, but always rooting for the success of everyone  (though of course still with cliques and likely a few individuals kept or keeping themselves apart from the group.)  And we will all feel real good about this.  We will belong, we will be valued, we will have friends.  Perhaps it is this, more than the riding or the scenery, that keeps bringing the “repeaters” back.  And likely this type of intense of bike touring is highly successful in giving this esprit de corps over and over, so the repeaters behavior is rational and rewarded.

I suppose this observation of group formation is nothing new, but it is fun, at least for reflective types like me.  And perhaps there is a point:  somewhere inside almost anyone, I suspect that they would value genuine, deep “belonging” more than any material possession, any competitive success.  Our competitive culture is misguiding us.  Vince Lombardi was wrong – winning is not the only thing.  Every retiree speech ever made is right – it was the people, the freinds, the spirit that made the experience rewarding.

 

John Keith

An easier way to cross the mountains?

An easier way to cross the mountains?

Comments

1

John.

Lets see if this works..tried yesterday but seems like I didn't get it right.

Great photos thanks for sharing!

A number of your former colleagues are asking how you are doing. I'll be sure to let them know based on your blog.

Steve

  Steve Jun 23, 2008 12:40 PM

2

You are not in it to do anything but your personal best. Enjoy the ride, and be secure in your sense of accomplishment. Personal competition is not important. We all know where we fit in the scheme of things.

  Cape Cod neighbor - Lucretia Hickok Jun 23, 2008 1:16 PM

3

That ride sounds crazy; no doubt you will have plenty of "war stories" with your new friends by the time Portsmouth rolls around (pun intended)! Loved the observations on the logging industry. The idea of seeing the country in one continuous stream from a speed at which you can really view it is an amazing opportunity to check out the state of this country of ours. Keep the observations coming!

  Amy Jun 24, 2008 3:16 AM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.