Existing Member?

Brent and Judy's Adventures

Poptun-Tikal-Flores

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 12 February 2008 | Views [494]

Finca Ixobel near Poptun is a eco lodge with a very earthy feel. The accomodations are basic but very nice. Bungalows that are on stilts high in the trees are available. Or dorms stile rooms, camping, and some individual rooms in small houses through the grounds. They have a avery with scarlet macaws.  Horse back riding was a optionthat Judy tried whilei did a day of cave spelunking. The meals are very well prepared. And cold beer and wine is available.

After 2 days we moved on to El Remata on the east shore of Lake Peten. This put us in striking distance of the Mayan ruins at Tikal. The next day was spent exploring these ruins and all of the wild life. Among the critters we spotted were spider monkeys, coatimundis, green parrots, toucans and montezuma oropendelas. The temples and other structures are awesome. And to consider that they were constructed without any machinery,beast of burden(ie-donkeys) or even steel is almost beyond comprehension.

El Remata is a great quaint village with a few hotels and shops. Great breezies come off of the lake in the afternoon to help with the warm humidity. And the sunsets over the lake are muy bien.

We have now relocated to the Island town of Flores for one night. The narrow cobblestone streets and tile roofed buildings makes for a picturesque town. We leave tomorrow for San Ignacio,Belize.

Tags: Adventures

About johnbmullen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.