Existing Member?

Brent and Judy's Adventures

Western Highlands of Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 5 February 2008 | Views [427]

Ola amigos

Antigua has been a good experience and intro into the highlands of Guatemala. After 4 days we moved on to Panajachel on Lago Atitlan. It is a large lake with 3 volcanos on its shores and numerous Mayan villages to visit. The crafts that the Mayan people produce are very beautiful. They are known for their fabrics and embroidery. We stayed at Casa Loma for 200Q per night= about 28.00 US. Very nice room and people. We day tripped to Chichicastango for its Mayan market on Sunday. It was an amazing and crazy experience. They sold any thing from live chickens, corn and beans to beautiful table cloths and other embroidered fabrics. Narrow very crowed aisles with lots and lots of vendors. The meals we had in Pana were very good without exception. We have shuttled back to Antigua for one night and then on to a lower elevation at Rio Dulce. It is at Lago Itzabel. Guatemalas largest lake. But this is for another chapter since it is out of the highlands and more in the Carribean area of the country. We have had a little up set stomach from time to time. But nothing a lomitil did not repair. The weather has been spring like with no rain. Very comfortable with low humidity.

Tags: Adventures

About johnbmullen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.