Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

African Buffalo

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 23 March 2004 | Views [366]

Somebody got lucky

Somebody got lucky

Today is Buffalo day, our route heads west from camp then north along the river ending in Olifants – prime (so they say) buffalo territory.  Going was slow, not because of traffic but due to the many bird species.  We identified four different eagles plus yellow-billed storks and several others before we were forced to stop by a commotion ahead – a herd of at least 200 prime cape buffalo crossing the road.  One large bull took the opportunity to get a little nookie – he just mounted a cow and walked after her across the road on his hind legs, a look of sheer contentment on his face.                 

Our mission accomplished, we turned our attention to leopards, but  with no luck.  At Olifants we contacted the folks from the Wilderness Treks, and were told that there was no Metsi-Metsi trek but we could get on the Bushman Trek out of Berg-en-dal tomorrow and we signed up even though it will cost us each $100 a day.  Sometimes ignorance is a good thing.  Fewer than 5,000 people get to do these two day, three night treks annually.  It is the only opportunity you have to actually walk in the Park and most people make reservations a year in advance.  Who knew?  We are really lucky.              

The weather deteriorated on the way back to camp, with occasional showers and much lightning to the south.  We returned in time to do some minimal food shopping – just enough for dinner – and several loads of laundry.  There are two washers and only one dryer which complicates the logistics.

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.