Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

Settling in

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 18 March 2004 | Views [346]

Inside the Cheetah Lodge

Inside the Cheetah Lodge

I still haven’t had a good night’s sleep but I haven’t given up hope.  After breakfast we walked from the lodge to the preserve for some exercise, about four miles round trip.  We don’t yet have a role at the center since we’re leaving tomorrow for Kruger National Park so we feel like outsiders but I am sure this will change.           

Tim, Vanessa’s friend, came by to share his camping ‘kit’ with us.  We took some containers, a stove, and a cooler and I think we’re all set.   Next stop, Britts, to provision.  Connie drove since the bakkie is right hand steering and you drive on the left and she had experience in Australia.  The food store was OK except for the meat department which lacks a certain amount of sophistication compared to home.  They haven’t yet heard of trimmed cuts of meat!  In addition to the regular cuts of chicken you can get heads and feet.

Birds and hyenas again serenaded us to sleep but, alas, it was another wakeful night for me.

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.