Existing Member?

John (& Sarah's) journeys.

Slowing things down in Vermont.

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 7 September 2008 | Views [565] | Comments [5]

Well here I am in Vermont and it is truely beautiful. About a week ago I made a significant decision... I had a several choices relating to how I continued with my trip as the possibility of me reaching Mount Katahdin  in Maine(the Northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail) was becoming evermore questionable. The choices were as follows;

1) I continue hiking as hard as I could, trying to reach Katahdin by the 6th of October - I am due to fly back to the UK on the 9th.

2) I slow down for the last month or so, continue hiking north but thoroughly enjoy the remainder of my hike.

3) I travel up to Mount Katahdin and start hiking south thru' Maine, and see how far I get.

4) I delay my flight to allow me to finish the hike to Mount Katahdin.

I decided the first option was not sensible for several reasons. I have self diagnosed myself with "plantar fasciitis" - an ailment of the heel of my foot which I have been living with for a couple of months. I have alleviated the problem with medical insoles in my boots but I really can't hike the long days I was doing without significant pain by the end of the day. I also feel that I want time to enjoy the scenery, people etc. that I meet on the trail.

I did not want to hike south or miss any of Vermont so discounted that option and to delay the flight would have meant hiking in some pretty remote areas in very cold weather.

Therefore I decided to slow down and really enjoy the last section of my hike - I will continue hiking north and just see how far I get. This decision was made when I arrived at a shelter in the early afternoon - it was in the middle of a clearing in the woods and someone had left a newspaper and some magazines there. Normally I would stop for a quick break and then continue on however I decided that it was too nice a spot to ignore. I chilled out for the afternoon just reading the week old newspaper and spent the evening around the fire chatting to some other hikers who arrived.

I am now thoroughly enjoying hiking Vermont at my new relaxed pace! I have taken a break at Kent Lake where I knew I could do some kayaking - this has been fun and the Lodge where I have been staying at is geat. The leaves in Vermont are just starting to change and the vivid reds are amazing. I think I saw an Osprey above the lake yesterday. I have not seen a moose yet, but I have seen a "Moose Crossing" roadsign!

I am planning to meet a guy called Larry who I hiked with thru' Georgia and we are going to hike some of the White Mountains of New Hampshire together.

It is starting to cool down a bit now (which is no bad thing)and I really noticed this for the first time when I camped on top of Peru Peak a few days ago. Just me and another guy camped right on the summit - the sunset was amazing but it was windy up there at night!

Totally lost the trail for the first time a couple of days ago. I had taken a sidetrail, which are marked with blue blazes instead of white blazes (these are occasional paint marks on the trees that border the trail - sometimes every hundred yards or so, sometimes much less frequent, however they are usually present when the trail changes direction). I came out of the woods into a clearing and could not see any blazes so I assumed the trail followed a forestry road. After following it down the mountain for about quarter of a mile I realised that I was wrong but did not want to go back up the hill! I knew there was a road which I wanted to meet at the bottom of the mountain so I ended up following ski runs, gondola trails and ski lifts to the bottom... where I ended up in a ski resort, not too far from where I wanted to be.

America is a strange place - they say you either love it or hate it. I dispute this, as I both love and hate it! The scenery is amazing and I have seen so much thru' the twelve States I have travelled so far, however sometimes when I am hiking up three or four thousand feet, with a pack that I have just restocked with food, then suddenly the mountains lose some of their appeal.... at least 'til I get to the top and can sit down and enjoy the view!

Likewise, the wildlife I have seen has been amazing and seeing animals like bear, beavers, porcupines etc in the wild has been a great experience. Unfortunately, along with these one must endure the wealth of insects that infest the woods. The mosquitoes were particularly bad thru' Massachusetts and the first part of Vermont. These annoying, stupid, pointy nosed, winged monsters seemed to thoroughly enjoy my blood and see "flying out for English" as an exotic alternative to their usual American food! They also have the ability to fly nanometres from my ears and yet still be able to move before I can swat them. Every once in a while they would send me completely mad and I would take my hat off , wave it around my head like a lunatic and swear profusely.... this would provide a few seconds of respite before the stupid b**stards would be back flying around my head! Even the pleasure of managing to swat one if it lands on my arm is ruined by the fact that I then see my own blood splatted all over my arm!! Even in death, they annoy me!

I love much of the American food (I am somewhat renowned for my poor diet when Sarah is not keeping an eye on it!). However, only the Americans would have Blueberry pancakes, maple syrup and bacon on the same plate for breakfast.... it is great! They have the ability to make the most healthy of dishes unhealthy - a simple salad is "garnished" with so much cheese, boiled egg, bacon bits, croutons and salad dressing as to totally negate any health benefits of the salad!

They also have the ability to make the most simple of things complicated! Ordering a fried egg with breakfast is an ordeal and it is pretty much impossible to have a simple cheese and ham sandwich. It seems that you  must complete a multiple choice questionaire before they can begin and when I said I just want cheese and ham without all the other crap they thought I was mad! .... surely I wanted them to cram so much chopped lettuce and mayonnaise in the sandwich that it would be impossible to eat without spilling out all over my only clean set of clothes!!

While I am on a roll I should mention that far more scary than any of the wildilfe I have seen are... the massively over sincere waitresses that you sometimes meet. They seem so desparate that you enjoy you "dining experience" that I wouldn't dare be critical of the service or food, lest they take my steak knife and commit "hari-kari" next to the table!

Anyway that's enough for today - feel like I have been a little critical of the US, but they are just observations (apart from the stuff about the mozzies.. I hate those b**stards) and I am still having a great time and have met some real good people.

I am gonna enjoy the rest of Vermont and then lets see what New Hampshire is like!

Comments

1

Think you have made the right decision. Perhaps slowing down a little will help your heel to recover.

Sounds as if "the fall" in Vermont is as spectacular as everyone says. Everthing seems to be turning brown here but I think it's just rust! The summer has been the wettest for many a year. Glad we didn't visit Cornwall this year.

Could be your ospreys are on migration. Seems as though the North American ones migrate from the Canadian border to around the Gulf of Mexico. Some do seem to breed along the Eastern Seaboard though. We have recently watched one of "ours" at Titchfield Haven on the Solent, on its way to West Africa.

Angela symapathises with your mozzie problem. You must have champagne-like blood too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Look forward to hearing of your experiences and seeing your pictures.

Best wishes,

Peter & Angela.

  Peter & Angela Sep 7, 2008 6:19 PM

2

have you not tried that mozzie spray yet - smells like
cat wee but does the job - cover your self in it

good decision to take it easy -enjoy the views
save your ankles for the London Marathon

lets hope you see a moose soon

cheers
Chris
p.s. the audi is in one piece as far as i know !!

  Chris Duck Sep 10, 2008 9:31 PM

3

Yeah, it's still in one piece......but it's now got blacked-out windows, blue neon lights underneath and James and I have been cruising round Guildford in it on a Friday night. (Joking, John , I'm JOKING!!!!!) xxx

  Sarah Sep 11, 2008 1:07 AM

4

Yeh, really we cruise around Woking, Guildford is to classy for us

  James Sep 26, 2008 3:37 AM

5

Hey mate I am an expert on plantar f' as have had it for 3 years!! Steroids and rest definately help. But if you can manage to massage it where it really hurts with your thumb. Lubricate the area with some oil.
Really push your thumbs into the sole rubbing up and accross This will hurt but trust me it gives relief.
Sorry it has been so long since i got in touch. will bore you with my sorry life some other time!!
Have been on tv which has been very funny, all about grazing the downland at Compton.
We also have been looking at Ospreys in Newtown harbour.
Have fun Anna

  Anna Elizabeth Smith Sep 30, 2008 7:09 AM

About john_hockley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.