Existing Member?

John (& Sarah's) journeys.

Connecticutt and beyond!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 21 August 2008 | Views [380] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone - I am still out here in the woods (though right now I am sat in a library in Salisbury, Connecticutt). I will have to make this a short entry as it is now 2.30 in the afternoon and I haven't started hiking yet (obviously)! Usually I am much more industrious and hit the trail by about 8am, however today is a "town day" and I wanted to get my money's worth out the hotel I stayed in last night.I also have to eat as much food as possible whilst in town and buy more for the trail.

Sarah and I had an amzing time in Washington, New York and Boston and then sadly she returned to the UK - though I am pretty sure she would not have wanted to stay and hike with me! Getting back on the trail was hard - with new boots the first week involved a lot of blisters and i was amazingly out of shape after just a couple of weeks off the trail. Then I hit Pennsylvannia and endured a nundred miles of hiking on rocks, whose only goal in life was to break or sprain your ankles!

However New Jersey and New York State were much better hiking and better scenery. I am now Connecticutt and if I ever leave town then I should cross the border into Massachusetts sometime this afternoon! I have now seen more bears, lots of snakes and also beavers for the first time. I have camped at a monastry and also stayed with the mayor of a little town called Unionville (long story!).

The scenery is starting to change now as I get further north and I had my first river crossing (maybe just a big stream) a day or so ago. The only way to cross it was to remove my boots and socks and wade across hoping I would not slip and soak my pack, boots and me - it went ok!


Anyway that's enough for now - let's see what Massachusetts is like!

Comments

1

HI John,
That's great you are doing so well. Everyone here says a big hearty hello. We're all watching your blogs to track your progress.
I'm not sure how far a "nundred" is, but it sounds 'real far' ! :-)

All the best,
~ Paul

  Paul Browning Aug 22, 2008 5:23 PM

About john_hockley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.