Existing Member?

John & Leianne's World Adventures

Road trip from Kamloops, British Columbia to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

USA | Wednesday, 8 February 2017 | Views [1056] | Comments [1]

Day 1-February 2, 2017.

First leg of our journey was to Couer d'Alene, Idaho. It was an uneventful day of an 8 hour drive. The roads were great and the sun was shining.

It is still very cool, lots of forest. 

Day 2- February 3

It was a very winter and long day, 10.5 hours driving time and several blizzards with rain snow and sleet. We arrived safely in Clearside, Utah just outside of Salt Lake City. Tomorrow we plan to drive to Flagstaff, Arizona.

Day 3- February 4

Left Clearside this morning in the rain but then it turned out to be a beautiful day. The roads were fantastic, traveling a lot of the time at 80 mph+. Also, some beautiful scenery of the hoodoos and canyons of Utah and Arizona. Much better weather in Flagstaff. 

Ate at a great Mexican restaurant called Aguava. They had the most amazing food that was really inexpensive and the furniture was all hand carved and painted, each piece was different.

Day4-February 5

Left Flagstaff before 8 am and took the legendary Route 66. Stopped in Windslow, Arizon. The song "Take it Easy," first hit by the Eagles was done with this town in mind.

After that we went to the petrified forest and painted desert. I had to buy a few pieces of petrified wood since I love rocks so much. All the colors in the desert are so beautiful.

We ended the day in Tucumcari, New Mexico and watched the Super Bowl in a cute little bar right next to our hotel.

Day 5-February 6

We left Tucumcari after breakfast and went across country to Texas, that looked so much like Saskatchewan, flat lands and fields, except the fields were cottons instead of grain. Things were fairly uneventful until we got to the suburbs of Dallas and then everything changed. The freeways were a mess with construction and detours and the time it takes to get somewhere. Anyway, we got to our destination just fine.

Day 6-February 7

We had a little mishap at our place outside of Dallas. Left our cooler plugged in by mistake for only a few hours. Heads up, those things suck a lot of power and killed the battery. Thanks to our AAA membership they came this morning within the hour, all good. 

Travelled to Lafayette, Louisiana with no other events. Nice to see the green again. Texas and New Mexico were very brown. There is also a change in the housing styles, they are a little like mansion styles.

There is a hurricane watch around this area. 50 homes destroyed in the east New Orleans area.

Had dinner at Chilli's next to the hotel. Two for one margs and we shared an appi, always thing of how much they feed you in the USA.

Day 7-February 8

We stayed in Lafayette, Louisiana and headed for Tallahassee, Florida. Went through 4 states, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida.

In Mobile, Alabama it was very fogged crossing the 8 mile bridge, probably due to the hurricane and bad weather the day before.

Went to a fantastic restaurant close to the hotel that was farm to table. The owner came and chatted with us about our trip and we were amazed at how everyone worked as such a great team, amazing to watch.

Tags: day7, lafayette, tallahassee

 

Comments

1

Wow what a fun road trip so much to see. Keep postiing it

  Lorraine Feb 9, 2017 1:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.