Existing Member?

Laotian Gold

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - The Gift

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 22 February 2013 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

The bus groaned boorishly, let out a sigh of discontent and ground to a halt. It was a few moments though before I peeked apprehensively beyond the clammy windows. People milled along the roadside surveying the scene. The arduous mountain road between Luang Prabang and Vientiane was a scene of disarray. Boulders of mud that had been harmoniously forged to the cliff-face now lay strewn along the battered path.
With only one way forward I lurched my pack on and stepped out in to the formidable rain. I clambered over the first pile with aid of a local and a gnarled stretch of rope, urged forward by the sight of a bus creeping tentatively behind me.
Several inches of thick clay later, I reached more stranded vehicles and was waived inside a ramshackle haven; a local bus. I took refuge in a dusky corner, thankful for the respite. I was soon joined by a Loatian family. The mother sat next to me, whilst the father fussed over her from a flimsy plastic seat placed in the aisle. On the mother's lap sat her daughter. Her eye's sparkled as she watched my fingers dance over the polished surface. Such a look of delight! One perhaps I hadn't felt myself since a child. I caught the mother's eye, her eyes too were wide with enchantment. I smiled sheepishly and waggled my hand in acknowledgement. I hesitated for a second, then offered my hand towards her. She paused, before coyly accepting. Watching them play was delightful. The father smiled widely at me before turning to rummage beside his feet. I could see him pull out a handful of sleek, ripe victual. He turned to place one in to my hand, I began to object, but he smiled and pressed the skin firmly into my palm. "Kop chai" I grinned, thankful and relieved. "Ah, kop chai! Kop chai!" he exclaimed in delight.
I looked down at the smooth, supple surface; so precious and delicate. I peeled back the glossy skin to reveal golden flesh. As I bit ravenously in to the bounty I felt the delicate segments pop between my teeth. I was starved and this was my salvation.
A local man boarded the bus and made an announcement in Lao, the father picked up the girl and reached his hand out towards me. "Kop chai" I grinned as I handed him the corn husks. The mother turned to me, placing the polished item back in to my hand. "Thank you" she said kindly, before proceeding down the aisle. I looked down at the treasure in my hand, with no signal and battery nearly dead - I thought "stupid iphone".

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About jodiet00


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.