Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Girls who are boys and boys who are girls

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 13 March 2009 | Views [902]

Sunset at White beach

Sunset at White beach

We are staying on a lovely quiet long stretch of beach in the north of Mindoro. There are only two small resorts here and no shops, restaurants or bars. It's perfect. Around the headland is another beach called “White Beach” which is where the party is. Dozens of boats arrive everyday depositing groups of Filipino revellers and gay couples from Manila at the bars and resorts of White Beach. We have visited a couple of times since we arrived. To get there, you can either scramble over the rocks like we did the first time, or walk along the dark road which we did the second time or take a tricycle which seems hardly worth it for a 5 minute journey.

The first time we went there, we were just there to have a walk, look at the market and maybe get a drink at a beach bar. The bars line the beach and are very lively. What we didn't expect was that most of the staff would be lady-boys! The staff are very friendly (especially to David!) and sometimes tell us their stories. Nicky is from Visayas and works at a Mikkos Bard on White Beach for six months of the year. She chatted to us while she worked the beach generating interest from passersby in grilled meats and the the nightly transvestite dance show.

“Are you on your honeymoon?” she asked us
We laugh. “no, we have been together a long time”
“How long have you been lovers?”
Lovers! This also gets a laugh! We tell her how long we have been married.
“You must have many babies”
We disappoint her: “no, no children”
“Why?” she asks “you don't want to lose your figure?”
That's a new one.
I do what I always do: make up a reason and change the subject.

A while later: She sits fanning herself “Wow, it's hot”
I nod
She whispers to David with a mischievous grin: “but you are hotter”

Ayana is a waitress-come-pole dancer and bats her extended eye lashes at passers-by to get them into the bar. She really seems to love her job. We are sitting on a bench right on the beach and Ayana skips to the bar with our order smiling and winking at everyone she passes. They must both make good tips. Nicky, Ayana and her friends are very glamorous and scantily-clad. It's easy to forget that they are actually men. In addition to being good waitresses, they are great dancers. We stayed for one show where the staff performed all the camp favourites with several costume changes: Whitney Houston, Gloria Gaynor......

Tags: mindoro

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.