Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Day out with Vic and Olive

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 11 March 2009 | Views [652]

Approaching Mindoro

Approaching Mindoro

We got a lift to Batangas Pier from a couple in their late 50s called Vic and Olive Hernandez. They own jewelery stores, but Vic does a bit of driving on the side. He had brought Olive along with him on this trip so that he would have some company on the way back. It was like being out with a favourite auntie and uncle. Uncle Vic made endeeringly corny jokes and teased toll booth staff and Auntie Olive “navigated”. I assume that derecho means the same in Tagalog as it does in Spanish, but if we had actually taken Olive's advice “derecho derecho” we would have ended up on the wrong side of Luzon.

Vic and Olive dropped us at Batangas Pier. It was more like a giant ferry terminal which I guess isn't surprising. With over 7000 islands in the Philippines, they need a lot of boats. We bought tickets from a company called Commandos who ferried us and 4 other couples to the island of Mindoro. They dropped us off outside the resort that David had booked us into.

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.