Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Assault on Mayon

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 5 March 2009 | Views [1327] | Comments [3]

The team: me, Eugene, David and Geno

The team: me, Eugene, David and Geno

Just sitting in my hotel room in Legaspi after a very satisfying day of hiking. The old legs are tired but not aching. Lisa is coming to give us both massages in an hour which is just what I need.

Last night we arranged for a local mountaineer and registered guide called Bayron (pronounced Byron) to come to our hotel and talk about the hiking options for Mt. Mayon. We had talked to the owner of a Bicol Adventure tour company called Martin earlier that day who arranged “easy” hikes where they drive up to the 800m point and you hike from there from around 9am. Piece of cake. I was ready to ask Bayron about this.

Bayron showed up an hour late which in Philippines terms is more or less on time. He was a very nice guy and we chatted about hikes and gear for a while and then discussed options for the “assault on Mayon.” When we asked him about the option of driving up to 800m, he laughed! He said we'd be missing the nice jungle and lava fields if we did that and also “where's the challenge?” Just our luck – we'd met a Filipino Justin. (Justin is our good friend in Nagoya who is always up for a challenge and recently climbed Mount Fuji FROM THE SEA!) Bayron suggested we start from sea level at 5am and for some strange reason we agree. What would Justin have done? What would Kazue have done?

At 4.30 this morning we met Bayron in the lobby. He was with 2 other guys who ended up being our guides as he had been contacted last minute from an office in Manila to guide someone from Korea. Our lead guide was his big brother Eugene and a moody 15 year old called Geno would be the assistant guide.

You aren't allowed to go all the way to the top at the moment because the volcano is on Alert 2, so our plan was to see how far we could get and turn around no later than 11am. We climbed up for about 4 hours and then the rain really started to come down hard. This made the already slippery rock dangerous to walk without being on all fours. We turned around at this point and had a leisurely climb down. All in all a very nice day of hiking.

If you have stumbled on my blog and you are looking for a guide to climb Mayon with, I recommend Bayron and his brother: bayron_mayon@yahoo.com (63) 0929-465-7529

Tags: hiking, legaspi

 

Comments

1

alert 2 out of how many??

hope the view from the top was worth it. im having a cup of orange pekoe in your honour. xxx

  nancy Mar 6, 2009 6:03 PM

2

2 out of 5 - pretty safe, but we could see it smoking and smell sulfur....

  Jo Mar 8, 2009 7:25 PM

3

Enjoyed your blog! Will be visiting my daughter (a Peace Corps volunteer) in February. We will be near Mount Mayon and are interested in hiking there. What would you judge the degree of difficulty to be? (She's an athletic 23, but this mother figure is 52!)

  K.O. Nov 2, 2009 11:40 AM

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.