Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

"Beautiful things don't ask for attention."

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 21 April 2014 | Views [1388]

I just finished Walter Mitty. Although it's not one of my favourite movies, I do like it. A few of my friends recommended that I watch it because he travels to some gorgeous places of the world, in it.

I didn't really quite know what to expect. He doesn't travel to anywhere I went to in the last year but the movie does transport me back to the things I love most about travelling. The lessons, the moments and the feelings. That scene where Walter finally meets photographer Sean O'Connell somewhere in the Himalayas, trying to capture a snow leopard, is my favourite. His description of the snow leopard, my favourite animal, is short but complete, just as his description of why sometimes it's best to leave the camera and just live through the experience.

Walter Mitty: When are you going to take it?

Sean O'Connell: Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it.

Walter Mitty: Stay in it?

Sean O'Connell: Yeah. Right there. Right here.

-----

I miss the experience of being in the Himalayas and the simplicity of life there. For me, that is really it. To be close to something so much bigger than you. To breathe in the fresh air of being in that present moment and appreciate its gifts. To be in complete awe of Mother Nature without the distractions of our modern world. That is it.

Despite the struggles and the challenges I had being in the Himalayas, it IS my favourite place on earth. 

Tags: nepal, reflections, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.