Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Teacher to Friend

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 20 August 2013 | Views [364]

Isn't it amazing the different insight you get as an adult? 

It's been amusing recalling old school memories in Japan with my science teacher from then, Mr. Mackay. As he told me HIS memories of events, I compared them with my simple recollections of the same events. There's always so much that goes on in the background that as a child, you hardly notice. 
 
I am very happy that I managed to get hold of Mr. Mackay because I've truly had an enjoyable time the last two nights, staying with him and Janette. Once again, as a child, I hardly thought of my teachers as more than people solely for my education. Hence, Mr. Mackay was just a science teacher from Scotland to me back then. But spending time with him this time - experiencing excitement to see him, having chats over tea and wine, perusing art together and feeling sadness leaving - had broadened my impression of him. He's more than just my old science teacher from childhood days in Japan. He is an amazing, well-travelled person who has a generous heart and a lot more to learn from than just science. He is someone I can now call a friend.

Tags: friends, reflections, uk

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.