Existing Member?

joanna of art

Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life - Chocolate Arrives in Luxor city

EGYPT | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [710] | Scholarship Entry

I am met by handsome Essam – flying freak me out and I want to hug him in relief at the airport lobby. My subconscious tugs at me (something to do with hugging rules in Arabic countries). I offer a Kenyan firm handshake instead.
Essam then ushers me into the scorching sun. I smile at my overdressed self: scarf over a heavy jacket over a turtleneck (Nairobi was raining!)
I am anxious and expectant as we head to the hotel, looking out the window I see many possible stories: carriage men on horses, the green fields fed by river Nile and just before my hotel I see the Mummification Museum, I am reminded of the “The Mummy Returns” a great film.
After refreshing I take a walk…the streets I notice are well lit, most of the motorists drive with the headlights off. I loose my footing when an entourage of motor cycles come my way in top speed. I panic (about to run for dear life), only to find out that it is an Egyptian-Luxor wedding gist. What? Thursday weddings!
“Jamaican”
“Rasta”
“African”
“My cousin”
Some of the names I am referred to as I walk down the streets minding my own business. Incidentally my simple cornrows are a head-turner. The walk leads to Kanack temple – the history therein is astounding. Being a picture junkie I take a dozen pictures with my new found Arabic and African friends.

Yaani, Chai…are few of the words I pick out Arabic words during dinner, though the interesting language shares some history with my Swahili I make a mental note that I cannot get by without a translator.
Late that evening as I relax in the lobby, a little girl approaches me, she is excited jumping up and down, adrenaline pumping. She smiles at me and I smile back. They joys of childhood…sigh!
“You are beautiful what is your name is?” I ask
“Gameera” she says with gaiety, Gameera…it has such a nice ring to it.
“What is your name” she asks…
“Joanne” I whisper smiling back.
“Joanna” she says.
She looks at me again and says the most beautiful thing.
“You are beautiful; your colour is chocolate….” I almost blush.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About joankabugu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.