Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

Eisenach, 264th Anniversary of Bach's Death

GERMANY | Monday, 28 July 2014 | Views [263]

This is the day we commenced our Bach pilgramage, in Eisenach the place of his birth, but on the anniversary of his death! There are many Bach concerts programmed for the year but only one on a Monday night, our only night there. It took place in the Nikoli church, with 2 baroque violinists, a mezzo soprano and a harpsichord/chamber organ player. The program was thoughtfully planned, based on Bach's works referring to death or sadness in the form of cantatas, violin and trio sonatas and solo keyboard works. A small chamber organ very similar to ours at home was used and alternated with the harspichord as the continuo instrument. Much of the music was familiar to us, and even included a very beautiful Handel German aria, Susse Stille, which we performed a few years ago with George Brenan at concerts in our music room.

The program lasted 90 minutes without interval, leaving us amazed at Bach's unfailing ability to write so many memorable melodies. The bowing style of one of the baroque violinists impressed us both as he sinuously drew out the rich and mellow sound of his unusual instrument without a trace of vibrato, as he subtly and spontaneously shaped each mellifluous phrase. We have not heard playing like it. The other vioinist was a more conventional player, mature, but not quite so experienced perhaps, his vibrato making for an odd mix with his colleague's considered and individual style.

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.