Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

London to Argegno, Lake Como, Italy

ITALY | Saturday, 19 July 2014 | Views [240]

View from villa verandah

View from villa verandah

We are now at our Villa in Argegno Italy which has fabulous views of the lake from just about every window and door. Weather is warm but overcast, with a little rain and thunder.

In London before we left, Ed had spent the day in casualty with breathing problems. However by Friday afternoon he was well enough to come home and enjoyed watching his hero Macilroy do well in the golf! He came with us to Stansted on Saturday morning when Nikki and Yas took us for our Ryanair flight to Bergamo. We had a good though delayed flight over, and had no problem locating our Hertz Ford Focus.

The car refused to start! After seeking advice we found we had to press on the clutch to make it start. We managed the driving on the right, and payments at the tolls on the motorway, and found Argegno without too much trouble, but we had a major problem actually finding the Villa. We could see it below we thought, vaguely recognisable from the photos on the web, but it was between two busy single lane roads on a steep hillside. Turning round was not an option so we had a bit of a tour to find another way, then oops, a bonus visit to the next village as well. Eventually we got back to the same spot, had to park the car in the only tiny spot we could find, which happened to be in front of someone's garage who promptly arrived home. After a few words of complaint, all in Italian, we managed to convey our plight by sign language, then she called down her husband from the balcony above us, who offered to reverse the car back out of its tight spot and onto the blind bend on the single lane road, and THEN Alan and Graham appeared to rescue us, which was at least half an hour after the navigator announced we had arrived at our destination! 

The villa is actually within walking distance of four or five restaurants and we had an excellent alfresco meal at one of them in the evening, while watching the locals enjoy a balmy Saturday evening. The little town is a delight with quaint old buildings on a steep hillside, a maze of narrow walkways, dark little alleys, intriguing archways, and ancient rough steep steps. 

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.