Existing Member?

Jo's Journey

The Roadtrip Begins

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 19 March 2007 | Views [490] | Comments [1]

As I sat in Sydney Airport waiting to be called to board my flight to Auckland, I could have been back in the UK.... this was because the rain was pouring outside and what started as a sunny morning turned into a grey and wet day!

I felt quite strange on the drive to the airport.  Australia had become my home for the last 6 months and I have grown pretty attached the place - I have been to some amazing places, met some cool people and had loads of good times.

My worries of leaving Oz disappeared as soon as I arrived in Auckland. Got a shuttle straight to the backpackers in the city centre and met up with Mia who had arrived that afternoon from Fiji. 

It was St.  Patrick's Day and Mia (being Irish) was ready to celebrate it.  So after a couple of Fijian gin and tonics we headed into town to an Irish bar.  After loads of singing and dancing we fell into our bunks and crashed out.

Next morning, we got up to collect our car,  the tiniest car in the world - we managed to squeeze our gear into it and headed for New Plymouth.  About 6 hours later we arrived and went straight to WOMAD armed with more Fijian gin and tonic and thermals!

Had a wicked night - saw a Maori band called Wai, Manchester DJ -  Mr Scruff and ate curry sat under the trees! Mr Scruff was great and had everyone up and dancing.  There was some kind of crazy dance-off going on at the front which was hilarious.  I'll post photos in my gallery soon.

Headed back to our luxury accommodation for the night. Yep, the tiniest car in the world also doubled up as our bedroom.  We had to avoid the millions of cowpats on our way to the car but Mia managed to attach one to her shoe which she then removed with her fingers!

Got up early this morning and made the drive down to Wellington after ringing our mums to say Happy Mother's Day and buying a much needed I Trip  - New Zealand radio isn't that great!

Arrived in Wellington 5 and a half hours later and have pitched our tent. Getting an early night tonight in preparation for our early ferry trip to South Island and our journey to our next overnight stay - Old Macdonald's Farm!! E I E I O!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Jo, can't believe everything you are doing, it's a bit crazy, enjoy New Zealand, apparently it's very like Scotland, it's my Dad's favourite country out of every where he's been. Thinking of you and continue to travel safe. xxx

  Carole Mar 19, 2007 10:42 PM

About jo

Blow Your Whistle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.