Existing Member?

Jo's Journey

Back in Sunny Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 19 February 2007 | Views [769] | Comments [5]

I'm trying to now get with the programme and have been brave and attempted to start my own online travel journal so that you can see where I am and what I am doing.

Have just done a mini road trip with my lovely Irish friend, Mia.  Actually, she is one of many lovely Irish friends I have met along the way.  

We had a very funny night in the strangest hostel in the history of hostels at a place called Katoomba in the Blue Mountains.  The building had once been used as a nursing home and was next door to a funeral parlour - very handy! The guy running the place was almost doing it single handedly and was so desperate for staff that he basically offered us a job there and then.  He had the help of one poor girl to look after 30 dorm rooms.  The place won't last long! And by the way, I didn't take the job.

On the way back from our trip up into the Blue Mountains we took a wrong turning and ended up in Chinatown where the Chinese New Year was being celebrated to the max. Managed, by complete fluke, to get parked right in the main street which we couldn't have done if we had tried!  Turned out to be a very cool night.  Ate Peking beef and drank Chinese tea in a tiny little restaurant over looking all the action, saw (and heard) firecrackers and drummers, watched lion dancing and had a Chinese massage for 6 Aussie dollars each - that's about 2 pounds and 40 pence and you know how much I love a bargain! Oh yes and we saw a fight and an arrest but that was nothing to do with the celebrations!!

FYI, 2007 is the year of the pig!

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

g'day Jo. Well I must say I am very impressed with the following...

a. You sussed out how to use the web journal. Well done you.
b. Your sandboarding skills look fantastic
c. That you can climb a rock in skirt and flip flops without breaking a nail!
d. Your hair looks like it is finally growing!
e. I hope you have bag and shoes to go with that rather fetching necklace you're wearing!

Sorry I have been totally crap with emailing. working and lily and stuff you know the score..

Haven’t been up to much as usual. Me and Katie went to the After Dark a couple of weeks ago, hilarious, I think Katie is re-living her student youth!!

Steve went snowboarding and had a fab time, wasn't the same without you staying at Chez Baldwins!

This weekend we are off to a lovely hotel in the Cotswold for my belated work Xmas do, it's all free which is fantastic. Then on the Sunday me and Katie are off to see the Killers, he's actually quite hot and Billy Joe may have to take the back seat for a while.

Other than that not much planned. Anyway aren’t you due home soon? is it still March?

Carry on enjoying.. it looks like you are having a wicked time, talk soon. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Katy Balders Feb 20, 2007 6:32 AM

2

Mate i am sooooo jelous! Don't ever come home it's rubbish! When you leave Oz i'll come and meet you! xxx

  Lynne Weston Feb 20, 2007 7:32 PM

3

hey there. this is cool i like it. I should havce done one. I back home now. gotta get some stuff done ill write you a proper email soon
byyyyeeee

  ron Feb 22, 2007 6:21 AM

4

Hello Mrs

I'm most impressed by your tech skills, the journal is fab, and it's great to see some pictures!!

Still jealous of all you are getting up to, but who knows I might get out sooner than later. My sister's emigration is moving on so half my family could be out there in a year or so!! Which would be ideal!!

Nothing much is going on here, looking forward to April and finally being able to see some of my friends, work is too busy for me to get up to Reading at the mo. You will no doubt have a fab birthday Miss Keen out in the land of Oz!! Think I might be in London for a long weekend as a treat to me! Well no one else is gonna do it for me!

I must be off, still at work and emailing on the sly.

Big love and take care, little miss b xxx

  Zoe B Feb 23, 2007 4:34 AM

5

Jo, this page is great....most impressed. Blue mountains sounds like a great one, did ye keep it to just Thelma and Louise or did Brad go along for the ride?????????? We're in Paihia in the North Island at the moment and its a lovely little town in the Bay of Islands. Talk to you soon, Noelle xo

  Noelle Long Mar 11, 2007 12:50 PM

About jo

Blow Your Whistle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.