Existing Member?

Retirement Travels

Day 2 and 3

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 6 June 2016 | Views [474] | Comments [2]

Campsite on the Warrego River in QLD

Campsite on the Warrego River in QLD

A further 2 days travel now finds us in Toompine in SW QLD - a very small place where the only buildings are the pub and the Progress Association Hall. It is a free camp but for a gold coin donation we get toilets and showers. We had a meal in the pub tonight and it was a typical country pub meal - nice and also big!

 

We had rain for most of the morning on Sunday as we travelled from Narromine to Nyngan then after Nyngan it pretty much cleared and we have had no rain since. We made good use of the bakery in Bourke for hot pies for lunch. After lunch we traqvelled to a camp site on the Warrego River about 37km into QLD. There was a lot of road kill on the roads as well as plenty of Roos and Emus on the side of the road to keep us alert.

 

Today we travelled to Toompine via Cunamulla, it was a pretty good run even on the typical QLD outback roads where the bitumen is mostly only one car wide. On the way we stopped off in Eulo and saw the monument to Dominator the World Champion Racing Cockroach (I kid you not), apparently he met his demise when his handler trod on him after he won a race - good thing he didn't lose!

 

Tomorrow we head off for Cooper Creek east of Windorah before heading into the Diamantina National Park. I have attempted to upload photos with little success - it's a bit difficult when you have veerryy slow internet speeds.

Comments

1

Hi all, glad you have left the rain behind nothing worse than a soggy tent. Like the blog! good to catch up with your adventures. looking forward to joining you in July. take care and keep safe and hello to the coops. love sue

  Sue chisholm Jun 7, 2016 6:45 PM

2

Good to see you are on the way. Enjoy

  Evan Jun 11, 2016 6:40 AM

About jmandjm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.