Existing Member?

Namaste, India 3 months of Teaching and Traveling through Beautiful, Amazing India

Day 1

INDIA | Monday, 22 October 2007 | Views [321]

I got to Ms. Sehgal's sometime around 11:00 a.m. My driver carried my bags to the door and knocked. She answered and I was introduced by the driver as the American guest. A woman
was standing in the living room and a man and his son were sitting on the couch. They were all introduced to me by Ms. Sehgal, but I didn't find out who they were until later. The house is very nice. Many plants and flowers decorate the exterior. There is a gate on the porch before you get to the front door and she has told me that she has closed up many of the entrances to the house for security reasons. But I feel safe here and in her neighborhood. Really, I do. Maybe that is because I am naive. --"This is India," Svetta has already said to me twice. Once when I was carrying my bag carelessly down the street and once at the store because I set my wallet down in front of me on the counter.
I have my own very spacious room and bathroom. I have an Western-style toilet (yes!) rather than the squat-style that I expected. I took my first bucket shower. The water was warm, even hot and it was wonderful, yes wonderful. Especially after nearly 2 days of traveling.
After I unpacked and took an unexpected nap, I walked into town with our cook's daughter, Svetta. She showed me where I can purchase things, use the Internet, and make phone calls. All within walking distance. The task is to not get hit by a car or an autorickshaw (auto) or a scooter when crossing the street. After I returned, I unpacked and had dinner alone b/c Ms. Sehgal needed to go out. Despite being excited and curious and a little overwhelmed, I fell asleep by 8pm when I could no longer fight the exhaustion and jet lag breathing down my neck.

Tags: Culture

About jjanowski


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.