Existing Member?

The Happy Fish Narratives Always with a backpack full of sunshine

The Connecting Flight Challenge

SINGAPORE | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [487]

Did you know you could instantly turn into an Olympic runner if you see the words LAST CALL next to your connecting flight number and you’re still on a different airport terminal? 

If you’re traveling alone, all you could wish for is a smooth journey. I got the bumpy variant. My Manila to Singapore flight yesterday departed 45 minutes late. This meant less time for me to catch my connecting flight to India. So when I got to Changi Airport, I channeled the Usain Bolt in me and raced my way through 2 terminals and 7 gates with my 7-kilo backpack.

Thankfully, Changi Airport has the Sky Train. That saved me a good 2km trek but I still have to get to my gate. There was a sign that says it would take 18 minutes for me to walk to my specific boarding area. No one will ever consider the walk option if next to that sign is your flight number flashing in red with the words LAST CALL. I dashed like crazy and made it to my gate in about 6 minutes (Thank you, Run Less, Run Faster training program!). I passed the security check panting like a dog, went to where my flight was boarding, and saw the last couple of people get in. An attendant saw me. I asked if it was the correct flight and she said yes. I was so glad I made it that I gave her a high five (because I’m a high five freak). She accepted it but with a laugh. In my head I was like, whatever lady, laugh all you want, I just made a record time racing through the Changi Airport. I deserve a medal. And a shower of confetti.

When I got to my seat, I immediately asked for a glass of water. I think they’re not supposed to serve anything right before flying but whatever. The flight personnel gave me an understanding smile. I was the last person in. I drank my water less the grace and poise of a lady, and got reminded about one of the rules in the movie Zombieland — Rule #1: Cardio. Now I’m thinking, if I were to give anyone a valuable life advise, it would be to get enough cardio exercise. It’s not just for surviving a zombie attack.

**First published on my personal blog.

Tags: airplane, airport, changi airport, connecting flight, flight, layover, manila, singapore, travel

About jj_happyfish


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.