Existing Member?

Europe Escapees Jackie and John are embarking on an adventure. Where are we now?

Crete-on

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 13 July 2009 | Views [245] | Comments [1]

Ok so it is very hard not to use the word Cretan from time to time! Last day in Crete. Thought it was second last but after checking paperwork this arvo discovered that we leave on the ferry for Santorini tomorrow. Funny how you lose track of time!! Just overshot the hirecar by a day, oh well.

So from MOnica's we headed off to Mon Preveli/Plakias. We walked into the MP beach unfortunately the longer way 30min in, in the scorching heat down a slight cliff face. Was supposed to be this beautiful palm beach. Was a bit ordinary compared to the last two oh well. Went for a snorkle again (did i mention John did for the first time the day before??). Plakias was a great beachside town to stay in, dinner by the water etc etc.

Then went to Matala, another beach which was 'discovered' by hippies in the 60's. They settled themselves into a cliff face of Roman tombs. They no longer live there and they seem a tad unsafe (a few collapsed) but people can wonder about them (as we did). Stayed in great accom recommended by the Lonely Planet Guide (as was the last place) which had a pool (a first since Dubai).  OH yes on the way there stumbled across Phaesos, Minean ruins, just happened to be the 2nd most important site in Crete.

From there today went to Knossi(a)s (the most signif and partially reconstructed ruins) and then to Iraklion. Again the LPG saved us for accom! After our discovery re loss of a day we 'hooned' to the Archeological Museum. Lucky for us it was a temporary one which housed the most important artifacts so that suited us down to the ground so to speak. Then we returned the tiny red hire car to the airport.

Tomorrow we catch the ferry to Santorini. Last leg now...

Comments

1

Love your travels stories keep up the fun times guys will be sad once it'all over :(

  Gayle Jul 15, 2009 2:24 PM

About jj_devries


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.