Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Day trecking to Dunsky Beach

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 1 December 2009 | Views [690]

Banksia

Banksia

Wednesday 25th November

Shelley Beach WA

Alas, the weather has again turned inclement but this campsite please is so beautiful we've decided to stay for another day.

Our maps tell us that the gorgeous little beach we can see in the distance is accessible by a 12 km return walking trail.  So we put on our hiking shoes, packed our lunch and water and headed off into the bush.  All went well for the first 3 kms as the track was well signposted and well used.  Our track to Dunsky beach used part of the famous Bilbulmun track which is a 965 km track from Albany to Perth along the coast.  Throughout our time in WA we have seen signs to the track but didn't realise the immensity of the distance. As we began our track we came along three walkers who were doing the full trail – they were into day 55 of the expected 60 days – very impressive.

Our track too us off the Bilbulmun track after a few kms and this is when things began to go awry.  The Dunsky track is obviously little used and after about an hour we realised that we were off the track, which had by now become non-existent.  We know that there was a 4x4 raod into the beach and could see it in the distance so headed for this.  A good idea!  It might have been longer but we made it to the beach safely.  On the way we came across a couple from Darwin who were in a 4x4 and having problems getting up a seriously difficult sand track.  After a few attempts and a little hole filling from us they made it on their way.

The beach was spectacular but the rains were on their way again an so we had lunch and a quick drip then back on the road for our return journey.  We arrived back at the van safely although a little tired.  Our beers tasted very good this afternoon. The night was full of showers, but we were safe and dry, snuggly warm in our camper.

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.