Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Bangkok

THAILAND | Saturday, 7 November 2009 | Views [428]

Banyan Tree Bangkok

Banyan Tree Bangkok

Tuesday 3rd November

Bangkok


We awoke with a tinge of sadness to have to say goodbye to this tropical paradise. Our final cattle-class flight for the trip was painless and we arrived in Bangkok with a minimal amount of fuss.


Decided that seeing as we were staying at the Banyan Tree Hotel, it was be appropriate to get a Limo service to and from the city ... so we did.


Again the travel gods were looking after us because on arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite on the club level. Headed to the club for a little lunch and a drink then we were escorted to the suite. OK, we've been lucky enough to stay in some beautiful hotels but this takes the cake – absolutely gorgeous!


After lunch we did some checking for shopping (yes, we are about to break our 96 day no shopping marathon), boy town venues, and tourist locations. Jim did some futzing about with some printing and we walked the streets - a jumble of local markets with gleaming high-rise buildings.


After the “call to cocktails” which was taken with spicy canapes in the club lounge we headed for a trip into a local boytown - 12 minutes walk from the hotel. We had a fun night mixing with a very international crowd – guys who now work in Bangkok or are travelling like us. We also discovered the remarkable “Babylon B&B”. This is a gay hotel that has to be seen to be believed. We were taken on a tour by the manager, Sak, and his pride in the hotel was palpable. He giggled at our aware as we went on his private tour from one type of guest room to the next, always telling us “the best is yet to come”.


And it was true. Each room is individual, filled with antiques and beautifully maintained. The last visited was the Botticelli House; a free standing house with three guest suites and a common lounge/dining/garden area. The Banyon Tree is exceptional, but we'll stay at Babylon next time we're in Bangkok.


After our somewhat extended tour of Babylon we headed to the night markets to soak up the excitement of the place. A great hustling, bustling, seething mass of street cafes, market stalls, colourful lights and welcoming vendors. Late in the night we gathered our purchases and hired a tuk-tuk to take us home to our hotel.... to our gloriously comfortable big bed.



Wednesday 4th November

Bangkok


Nic got his hair cut; Jim futzed with some printing and then we met up for lunch on the club lounge (love all the freebies).


Off to China town for a bit more of the local colour. Wandered the tiny alleyways with produce we had never seen before let alone tasted. A feast for all the senses.


Then another taxi back to the hotel. The ride (as always) was slow and halting. Bangkok seems to be in perennial gridlock from 6am to 12pm. Even though taxis are cheap we ended up walking most places as it was faster.


Had to have a little siesta after all the mad travelling around the city then we divided again to finish off shopping and futzing. Met up for the 'call to cocktails' in the Club Lounge then off for a final visit to Bangkok Boy-town. We were going to go to a variety of clubs that had been recommended to us but by 10:30pm we were stuffed. Travel can be very tiring.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.