Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

An Anti-crusader castle and MORE Roman Ruins

JORDAN | Sunday, 25 October 2009 | Views [313]

The Romn Colannade at Jerash

The Romn Colannade at Jerash

Saturday 24th October

Jerash Jordan


For something different, our guide/driver was named Suleiman, not Mohammad. We decided on a gentle start to the day and he met us at 11:00am in the lobby of our slightly less than salubrious hotel in Amman. It's Jordanian three stars, which means two by any other rating system. (But we've had worse, once!)


Our track today began with the anti-crusader fortification of Ajlun Castle. This was built in the 12th century by the nephew of Saladin as as part of the fortifications between the trade and pilgrim routes through Trans-Jordan. The castle sits on a momentous high point that gives a stunning view right across the Jordan Vally to Jerusalem. Unfortunately an unexpected dust storm diffused the view.


Our next stop was the city of Jerash, an ancient city that can boast 6500 years of continuous occupation. The city's golden age came under the Roman rule and can be seen today in the remarkable colonnades, soaring temples, impressive theatres (Jim felt very at home), spacious public squares, a circus maximus (where the Jordanian army mounts mock chariot races), ornate city walls pierced by towers and gates and the remarkable Hadrian's Arch (He was such a busy little builder).


We arrived back to our hotel after a late lunch of delicious barbecued meats, babaganoush and Jordanian breads. As a treat after all the hard trekking in the last few days we booked ourselves in for another Hammam/Turkish Bath, this time the famous Al-Pasha Turkish Bath of Circle One.


Now you might think that seeing as it's the most famous baths in the country it would be easy to find ... No. The desk clerk of our hotel had no idea, he then passed this no idea onto the taxi driver, who proudly came to a stop outside another Turkish Bath on Circle Five. (We had actually written the address down and checked it against the advertising in the tourist magazine. Boy did they get it wrong). Finally we made it to the right place and it was worth the hassle.


Al-Pasha is built in grand proportions. The entrance is off a small road and belies the size of the bath house. Upon entering you're met with a vast relaxation/meeting space, with domed roof, fountain fishpond, reclining chairs and tables with a few chess games going on, large potted palms and walls covered with cabinets containing a collection of musical instruments, old phones, camera and typewriters and an eclectic variety of antiques from the past century.


The bathing process was much the same as in Petra; Steam room, shower, scrub and massage. But this time there was a dry sauna and spa pool as well. We came out scrubbed clean and sooooo relaxed. We headed straight home to bed even by-passing dinner. Another memorable day in Jordan.


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.