Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum!

ITALY | Tuesday, 20 October 2009 | Views [1368]

Marching on the Forum

Marching on the Forum

Saturday 17th October

Rome


Sun shining and Mt Etna in all it's glory was what we awoke to this morning. Quick breakfast then a 15 minute pack and we were off again ... well not quite. A flat battery on the car. Thank goodness for one of the hotel staff who sprang into gear and jump-started the car for us to make our get away in good time to the airport in Catania.


Quick painless flight and before we knew it, we were in Roma.


We made good time to our hotel and decided it would be best to to a quick tour of the city by bus to get the city under our skin. Our helpful hotel guide suggested we pick it up from Piazza Santa Maggorie, which was a short walk away. Off we went, map in hand and spirits high. As we headed up the road we noticed an inordinate amount of people on the streets with banners and placards, all of which were in Italian, so we had no idea of what they were on about. As we arrived at the Piazza we knew that something was up – obviously a rally of some kind. What we didn't know was that there were 100,000 people readying on the roads around the Piazza. We found the bus embarkation point and were greeted with the news that the bus would not be running due to the protest rally against racism. Ok, we'll hoof it! We decided to check out the forum and the Colosseum. We took a few back streets and arrived at the Forum just in front of the main body of marchers, with a significant police escort leading the way. But, we did have a great time wandering the Forum and around the Colosseum and then wound our way back to our little B&B. We've never seem so many Africans... funny being in Italy and all!


We headed into the local boy-town but not much happening so headed home to get ready for our reunion with Victor and Don for California tomorrow.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.