Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Mountainous beauty

ITALY | Thursday, 15 October 2009 | Views [431]

View to the island of Vulcano

View to the island of Vulcano

Saturday 10th October

Lipari


The days are already beginning to take on a rhythm of simple sameness. Jim gets up and walks for an hour then delivers Nic a cup of tea in bed. We breakfast on the balcony then head to the shops for whatever fresh organic provisions are needed, then it's to the beach until around 3:00pm. Home for a late lunch then off in the car for a drive around the island or into the main town of Lipari which is a gorgeous fishing village with a castle and some of the quaintest streets we've seen on the trip. Really needs to be seen to be believed. All the real deal, with not a ounce of contriteness or designer store in site.


Nights are spent curled up on the lounge on the balcony looking at the lights of the little port and the stars shining above us. The port and beach we overlook has the quintessential crescent shape, and at 6pm the church bells ring and the street lamps along the foreshore come on. The lights bleed into the water casting reflections reminiscent of the cascading fireworks that fall off the Sydney harbor bridge on New Years Eve. Not unlike a huge harp, just waiting to be plucked, but as Jim's on holidays, and Nic's not musically inclined, the night remains oddly silent. The clouds take on the colour of the setting sun and the backdrop is of green mountains plunging into the ocean. We could get very used to this.

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.