Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Venice

ITALY | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [349]

Venice

Monday 29th September


Venice gets six million visitors per year. We think that five and a half million were in St Marks Square when we arrived at 9:00am this morning.

We decided to pay a few euros more to travel from the port where our ship moored to St Mark's via the canals. On arrival we were shocked by the he crowds. We bought a map and headed into the labyrinth of alley ways and canals to drop off our bags before heading into the city proper. (Our hotel is only 200 metres from St Mark's so we really shouldn't complain)


As we were wandering in the square we ran into another Aussie couple, Steve and Irene from Noosa who were on their first trip to Europe. We were heading for the Guggenheim Museum and they joined us on the journey. The Guggenheim is Jim's favourite gallery and it was a joyous few hours spent with Picasso, Miro, Pollock, Giacometti, Dali, Kandinsky etc all in a beautiful palazzo right on the grand canal.


This afternoon it was the extended visit to the Ducal Palace on St Marks. For Nic, it was the best museum of the trip. We hired the audio guide, which made it much more interesting and walked and walked for hours. Though the numerous chambers, past the largest canvas in the world (which Jim initially didn't notice - !) and over the Bridge of Sighs. From exorbitant beauty (fresco's, marble and gold) of the upper floors to bone chilling prisons and armories down below, this place really gave one an insight to the life and times of medieval Venice. They had to throw us out at closing time.


We were joined by Steve and Irene for dinner and then crashed after a huge day.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.