Existing Member?

Jim and Mary's blog

New York, New York and more New York

USA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [361]

Having only a week here and trying to make up for a life time of not visiting NY we are trying to do everything. 3 days gone and only 4 to go. As you can see from the photos we managed to get to the first game of the season between the Yankees and the Red Sox from Boston thanks toJohn and Kagi's strenuous efforts. My team the Red Sox won. They became my team because of the perverse reason we were in the Yankee stadium surrounded by Yankee fans. We also went to a jazz club thr Village Vanguard in Greenwich Village. Some tremendous playing. Probably the best live playing I have heard. That is saying something as I am a fan of the Devon Youth Jazz Orchestra and Brian Moore's Wind Machine. Managed to get tickets to see a play called My Name is Asher Lev. We were recommended to read the book a friend Sally . Despite good intentions we did not get round to it so it was fortunate that we could see it. Itvhad 3 actors playing the many parts. It seems to be the way these days and it makes great demands upon the ability of actors to change characters very quickly. Very good production. We have also visited the Ground Zero monument which was very moving. It consists of two    pools on the footprint of the two towers. Each has a waterfall that cascades into a void. Feels quite unsettling which I suppose is the intention.

We will continue to look at all the usual sights over the week. Today's highlight is Placido Domingo in La Traviata at the Met. 

About jimandmary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.