Existing Member?

Jim and Mary's blog

Buddhad out

SRI LANKA | Monday, 11 February 2013 | Views [296]

How many temples can any place have. The answer is lots. The interesting thing about Sri Lanka is that the local kings tended to import their brides, of which they had many, from main land India. To complicate thing they chose women from the Hindi tradition who were having none of this buddhist stuff. However keen on economies of scale hey built temples to accommodate both. The years have long gone since they had kings but the joint use of one building for Buddhist and Hindu woship has carried on. This has led to an integrated belief that encompasses the two religions ie worshipping Buddha and one of the Hindu gods I am by all this. 

Currently we are in Kandy for the last of our 3 nights here. We are staying with an older couple who seem to have guests for the sheer enjoyment of it. They are providing us with gourmet level catering as well as good company. The lady is an embroiderer and we have commisioned some lovely embroidered table cloths. Lots more to say but no time to write it. Next stop Bandererwala for 4 days.

About jimandmary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.