Existing Member?

adventures of a not so grey nomad

The wheels on the bus go round and round-all the way to Panama

PANAMA | Tuesday, 10 August 2010 | Views [698]

Bocas Del Toro To Panama City Monday 9 August 2010


It was a beautiful morning as we left Bocas by water taxi ($US4) at 7.30. It was still quiet in the streets-the vultures were out picking at the rubbish but even the dogs weren't out and about yet. There was more action at the water taxi terminal-people heading off to various places-some for work or school and tourists leaving for a day trip to another island or leaving for other parts like us-off to Panama City. As we pulled into Almirente port we saw Chiquita banana containers stacked on the wharf., a large dredge and a container ship The homes around the entrance to the port are pretty ramshackle for the most part-built out over the water and most with a little box like shed at the very edge of the deck-a toilet I'm guessing-probably straight into the water. As we climbed out of our boat-not easy as the awning was low and we had to both crouch low and climb up onto the jetty at the same time, a fellow passenger lost his sunglasses overboard-luckily Lynn had fast reflexes and fished them out of the water for him. We got a taxi ($US1) to the bus station and waited for our bus. The tourist guides so far in Panama have been great-they seem to be everywhere you need them when you need to get somewhere-taxis, boats, buses -all so helpful and very efficient-and they don't expect a tip which is so nice.

The bus ride to Panama was uneventful-we had some children and a baby on board but you would never have known-we didn't hear a peep out of them. Which is more than be said for the bird in a shoe box which a young woman carried the whole 10 hours! It would start squawking especially when the bus stopped and she got off for break -bird and all! At least it was in the bus-I saw a dog chained up on the luggage rack on the roof of a mini bus that we passed along the way! I slept most of the way-I remember the first part of the journey going through high steep forest covered mountains which run the length of the isthmus separating the Pacific and Caribbean coasts. As we ran down the Pacific side there was a lot of farmland -sugar cane and grazing paddocks. We stopped about three times for about 30 minutes each time-long enough for people to eat and drink and stretch their legs-much needed when there is very little legroom! We had a couple of changes of drivers-one played Spanish music and another put on DVDs for us to watch-one was called 'Good Hair'- featuring Chris Rock it was all about black women and their hair- all the products invented to deal with it such as “Relaxers” and the hair chemical industry; weaves (extensions) and all the business that goes with that i.e. buying the hair from India where people have it shaved off in a religious ceremony; the cost of these weaves-$US1000 at least and then the upkeep of it all. The women have their hair done in cornrows then the weave is stitched in-they go the the hairdresser weekly for a shampoo and every three weeks have it all tightened-huge maintenance. According to this film THE HAIR is not to be touched-no swimming, no saunas and no boyfriend running his hands through it-its more than his life is worth!! It is a huge issue and even has implications in the work force-natural Afros are not considered to be presentable enough and may mean the difference between getting a job or not-great little film.

Luckily I had my eyes open as we drove into Panama itself over a huge bridge-the Bridge of the Americas -Puente de las Americas. I could see many ships out in the water presumably waiting their turn to go through the Canal. We drove in through a really nice neighbourhood-Balboa- which was built to house the wealthy American canal workers and the military. There are nice homes with gardens and fences, neighbourhood playgrounds and plenty of trees.

The bus stopped at Allbrook, the new bus terminal-absolutely massive with a huge shopping mall. We decided to take a taxi to our hostel where we hopefully had a room for the night-we weren't 100% sure as there was a slight language barrier-especially over the phone- and they hadn't confirmed Lynns email reservation. A big loud man came rushing up to us and offered to take us for $US8-OK we said and the packs were in the boot when another man came and offered the ride for $US2! The drivers were shouting and bickering with each other and we had enough-we decided to take the other offer and asked for our packs. The big fella got the shits and grumbled and basically said bugger off then -or words to that effect-in Spanish! We just stood there and waited for them to forget about us and sure enough a few minutes later a very nice quiet well mannered taxi driver came over and offered us the ride for $US6-done. Off we went and got to Casa de Carmen to find that no they didn't have a double room but they did have an empty 6 bed dorm available. We took it-the hostel is fabulous -it has everything we need- toaster, microwave, hot water, free tea and coffee, free Wifi, free breakfast......!Very clean and spacious with a lovely outdoor area and a lounge with a flat screen TV-pure luxury for $US15 a night! So this is home for a few days. We walked to the 24 hour supermarket where we found NZ butter for sale and cheap alcohol really. A baked potato for tea with butter and real Gouda cheese-not orange American stuff-and a rum and orange-all good!



About jilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.