Existing Member?

adventures of a not so grey nomad

Bocas Del Toro-Reggae and Rasta

PANAMA | Monday, 9 August 2010 | Views [2251]

Bocas Del Toro Panama August 4 2010


Our first full day was spent just walking around the place checking out the shops, having a coffee and doing some grocery shopping. We have a great kitchen at the hostel -only things missing are a microwave and a toaster. In the late afternoon we walked down into some of the back streets where kids were out riding their bikes and playing on the streets.We made it down as far as the hospital- with a clearly marked morgue! - and the local cemetery. Graves seem to be mostly above the ground-probably due to a high water table-and many are tiled.

Tea was baked beans on toast-sounds boring but it was very good! We sat up on the balcony and watched the world go by-usually on foot or cruising by on large upright push bikes-often with a child in the front basket or sitting on the handelbars. Some bikes have a padded board on the bar between the handlebar and the seat-especially for passengers.


August 5


Today we decided to go to Boca del Drago-a beach on the western side of the island- about 30 mins away by mini bus ($US5 return) through farmland and countryside. We saw lots of old wooden plank huts on stilts where locals live-most of them seem very poor. The bus dropped us off at the beginning of a track around the beach-there is a restaurant there and a hostel but not too much else. Further along are a couple of big places-one looked like a swanky hotel or a very nice holiday home but closed up for low season. However as we walked past we saw 2 pet monkeys no bigger than a cat and with little white faces. The littlest one was sitting on a tree branch and seemed a bit hesitant about moving along it. She was making funny little sounds and squeaks and not at all concerned about us taking photos of her. Meanwhile the bigger one, wearing a harness, was prancing and jumping and leaping around all over the place. He was digging in sand-at one stage he had his hand down a crab hole trying to get the crab-he played with food bowls and as Lynn was taking a photo of the little one he climbed up along a branch and almost managed to grab her sunglasses! He was quite a character! We walked along the beach with its white sand and palm trees-the water was clear and warm and calm and it was so quiet and peaceful. The beaches go on and on-we walked around a few bends and came to Starfish beach-famous for all the starfish in he water. We found a shady spot and lazed the day away-swimming and reading. We had taken some food for a picnic-salad rolls for lunch!

We were catching the 5pm bus back so we headed back around to the pickup point. The monkeys were still out -this time joined by a big white dog with black patches over both eyes. He had made a hollow in the sand to lie in and keep cool-sound asleep. The cheeky monkey decided he wanted to play with him and jumped on his head trying to wake him up-that didn't work-so he jumped around and did somersaults on the dogs belly-that didn't work- so he started squeezing the dogs balls-that worked! The dog didn't seem overly concerned though-obviously this wasn't the first time-he just got up, gave himself a shake and wandered off.

We had a coffee while we were waiting and enjoyed the sea breeze-it was so hot and humid. When we got back to town we went to the supermarket for supplies, came back to the hostel and had a shower and a homemade Pina Colada. We cooked ourselves a late tea-scrambled eggs on toast for me and creamed corn on toast for Lynn. It was very quiet in the hostel-we seemed to be the only ones about. It poured with rain about 9pm-a torrential downpour. People in the bar across the street were having a merry old time-singing and yahooing-apparently until quite late-but it didn't bother me-I slept through it all.


August 6


Another very hot and humid day-too hot to do anything much We whiled away the morning catching up on emails and trying to sort out accommodation for Panama city. We chatted to a Dutch girl and she gave us some useful tips about where and where not to stay. She thought we were writing a travel guide because we were sitting out on the balcony with our lonely Planets and numerous bits of paper we use as memory joggers for our blog! We went and booked bus tickets to Panama -$US20 for a 10 hour trip- and ended up back in our little waterside restaurant having an iced coffee and reading magazines. We both fancied a proper meal so we had a late lunch at a little local eatery-stewed beef with rice and pasta salad-$US3.50. Another night on the open air balcony where we watch the world go by and enjoy the music from the bar over the street. The Pizza restaurant was quiet as was the souvenir shop-those guys put in long days -must be bored silly sometimes!


August 7

Today was dry and sunny so it was a good day to catch a boat and go to Red Frog Beach on Isla Bastimentos, parts of which are under protection of the Parque Nacional Marino Isla Bastimentos . However Red Frog beach doesn't fall into this zone and there is presently opposition to a huge residential development being constructed there. There are concerns about the environmental impact of this development both to marine ecosystems and turtle nesting sites -locals also fear their access will be limited. $US5 bought us a return ticket on a little speedboat for the 10 minute trip across the channel and through some mangroves to reach a floating jetty made of plastic. We caught sight of a dolphin briefly-he seemed to be alone-no pod in sight. We have not seen many birds on our travels-to my surprise. The only birds today were a large eagle type and a couple of brown pelicans. We had to pay $US3 to enter private land which gave us access to the beach-imagine having to do that in OZ or NZ! We walked along a gravel and sand road for about ten minutes and reached the beach- along expanse of white sand with a backdrop of lush tropical growth and clear, clean water. We found a shady spot and went in for a swim-lovely and cool-and waves! There were signs warning of killer waves and rip so we were cautious and swam where there were other people. As the day went on more and more people arrived. There were loungers and umbrellas set up but I think they were user pays. There was a gang of locals busy sweeping up plant debris and seaweed keeping the beach clean for us tourists. Some local kids came up with large green leaves closed up in their hands -they opened them up and inside in a little pool of water were tiny red frogs with black spots- rana rojo (strawberry poison dart frog ) which may disappear with the increasing development. It was a fitting way to end our week on Bocas Del Toro-sun, surf and sand. It has been a week of music,beaches, people watching, good food and the relaxed vibe of the Carribean.


The Archipielago de Bocas del Toro consists of six densely forested islands, scores of uninhabited islets and Parque Nacional marino Isla Bastimentos, the countrys' oldest marine park. Bocas has pristine beaches and a coral reef which makes for great snorkelling and swimming. There are also great surfing spots and its not uncommon to see tourists walking around with a surfboard. The main destination is Bocas del Toro on Isla Colon, the largest and most developed island and the provincial capital, which still has some authentic Caribbean charm thanks to low key development.-no huge mega hotels or chains -as yet. But since the mid 1990s foreign investors have been buying land and building restaurants, apartments and condos so things will change. It is touristy but very laid back and friendly. The town was originally built by the United Fruit Company in the early 20th century-lots of old wooden houses-many past their best. The local population is made up of Latinos, West Indians and lots of resident gringos-many middle aged and older men. There is a police station, a fire station with some older vehicles and a hospital. There is also an airport with daily flights to Panama City and Costa Rica. There are plenty of taxis-all utes and painted yellow with a black and white checked strip along the side. Water taxis are plentiful and ready to whisk you away to a deserted beach or snorkelling spot.

About jilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.