Existing Member?

Northbound - 5 months with the Gwich'in First Nations north of the Arctic circle story of northern lights, ancient Gwich’in culture and true wilderness Protecting the largest pristine mountain wilderness in the world – the objective is not too small, that’s for sure! I am Jette, an environmental ambassador from the NGO Wilderne

Why am I even here?

CANADA | Saturday, 9 January 2016 | Views [398]

The Peel River Watershed is one of the last remaining untouched wilderness areas on this planet. It is home to unique wildlife and provides „physical and spiritual sustenance“ for several First Nation tribes of the region such that „they can not only survive, but flourish.“ (Jill Pangman, CPAWS)
Mining and oil and gas extraction threaten to destroy this stunning landscape and harm its delicate ecological balance. Roads will fragment the landscape, mines dig up the lush grass plains and chemicals pollute the pure air and water. Air we breathe and water we want to drink.
This would mean the loss of incredible natural beauty. And more importantly, it will deprive the porcupine caribou of their safe route and the First Nations of their traditional lands, let alone be an offense to their constitutionally protected rights!

The affected tribes, supported by two environmental organizations have geared up to defend the Peel in front of court.
But see yourself:

Protect the Peel – Yukon Court of Appeal Hearing

Opening up the Peel Watershed wilderness for industrial development would only benefit very few for a short time. Protecting it will benefit all of us and the generations to come forever.

What’s the future of the Peel? The next steps in the process are to be determined these days. Stay updated here!

 

Tags: arctic, conservation, environment, first nation, gwichin, indigenous, peel river, wilderness, wilderness international

 

About jette_for_wildernessinternational


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.