Existing Member?

Northbound - 5 months with the Gwich'in First Nations north of the Arctic circle story of northern lights, ancient Gwich’in culture and true wilderness Protecting the largest pristine mountain wilderness in the world – the objective is not too small, that’s for sure! I am Jette, an environmental ambassador from the NGO Wilderne

A story of northern lights, ancient Gwich’in culture and true wilderness

CANADA | Thursday, 7 January 2016 | Views [431]

 

Protecting the largest pristine mountain wilderness in the world – the objective is not too small, that’s for sure!

I am Jette, an environmental ambassador from the NGO Wilderness International. In 2014, I went on an expedition to the Toba Valley and got hooked by their fun and convincing way to protect the last remaining wilderness areas in this world for all of us together with young people. Currently, I am a volunteer for Wilderness International. Starting on December 5th this year, I will live with the Gwich’in First Nation of Fort McPherson, NT, in Canada for five months. Together with Shayla Snowshoe and many partners we will work to support the struggle of protecting the traditional homeland of the Gwich’in First Nation from being ripped apart by mining.

Also, we will prepare a student exchange including an expeditions with elders, scientists and photographers/filmmakers in order to give people the chance to experience true wilderness and raise awareness for the importance of saving the Peel Watershed area in the Western Arctic.

Wilderness International together with the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society have been engaged for many years working to protect this magnificent place. We are thankful for your interest and would appreciate if you shared this with others - little for you to do, great help for the planet! So let's go!

Tags: arctic, conservation, environment, first nation, gwichin, indigenous, peel river, wilderness, wilderness international

About jette_for_wildernessinternational


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.